From The Archives
Lubec, Maine 04652
Scroll down below the map for more information
Like This Listing?
The Peacock House
27 Summer Street, Lubec, ME 04652
Sue and Dennis Baker
Phone: 207-733-2403 Toll Free: 888-305-0036
Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!
The History of Peacock HouseThe Peacock House was built in 1860 by Captain William Trott, whose portrait hangs above the living room fireplace. Captain Trott was a sea captain from Bedford, England and built the house for his bride, Lois Neagle.
The house was originally constructed as a Victorian, but later updates and renovations have made it a mix of Federal and Revivalist styles. The house passed to The Peacock Family in 1880 when Robert Peacock, a sardine merchant, married Minnie Trott, the old sea captain's daughter. Five generations of the Peacock family lived here continuously and hosted some of Maine’s most prominent citizens – including US Senator Margaret Chase Smith, Donald McMillen (the famous Arctic explorer ), Senator Edmund Muskie and Maine humorist Tim Sample. In 2010, Peacock House was host to Michael Richards, Kramer of "Seinfeld" fame.
In 1936, the main part of the house was re-designed by Mr. Carroll Peacock, with the help of a Massachusetts architect. A maid's room and informal library were added to the third floor. The grand front porch was removed and a formal entry was added. New hot and cold water sinks were added to the three family bedrooms and guest room. Like most sea captains homes, the original home included, many elaborate furnishings and workmanship… most of this was lost during the 1930s renovations.
After this reconstruction project, Peacock House boasted twelve rooms, seven bedrooms and four full baths!
Enter the Child’s family – who in 1988 discovered Peacock House in desperate shape after years of neglect. More major renovations ensued and in June of 1989, Peacock House was formally opened as a new Bed and Breakfast. The beautiful old home now has twenty rooms!
Since 2002, when the Bakers purchased Peacock House, renovations have been ongoing. A new heating system, a new roof, garden additions, exterior painting, insulation, redecoration and renovation of all 7 guest rooms, updating of the library, living room, dining room, foyer …the improvements continue.
Peacock House has enjoyed hosting guests from all over the country and the world for 20 years. The Bakers are committed to upholding the legacy of hospitality begun in 1860, when Captain Trott created this lovely home in the little easternmost village of Lubec.
Read reviews of Peacock House Bed & Breakfast
Archived in December, 2015
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.