OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 18734

More Old Houses

From The Archives

c. 1879 Victorian: Folk

Old Wilson Historic District
Wilson, North Carolina

Barefoot House

Sweet folk Victorian that has been partially restored!
Scroll down for more information
Bedrooms 4
Full Baths 5
Heated Sq. Ft. 3,019
Stories 2
Acres 0.3

Features.

  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 1st Floor Bedroom
  • 1st Floor Laundry Room
  • Bonus Room
  • Dining room
  • Entry Hall
  • Living room
  • Rear Deck
  • Built-in Cabinets
  • Fireplaces
  • Original wood windows
  • Wood floors
  • City sewer
  • City water supply
  • Water Heater - Electric
  • 10-foot Ceilings
  • Plaster Walls
  • Stained Glass Windows

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.

Loads of lovely wood work throughout this charming house.

5 fireplaces, original wood wainscoting on the main floor in entry hall and formal dining room. Original built in cabinets in kitchen and butler’s pantry. House has 4 bedrooms plus a bonus room, formal living and dining rooms, spacious kitchen and 5 bathrooms offers lots of possibilities!

Centrally located in the historic district on a .3 acre lot. Stained glass windows in front door and in stairway. Original hardwood floors throughout. Plumbing is all new from the street. Electrical has been updated. House was purchased as a duplex and has been partially restored back to a single family home.

HOUSE HISTORY:
Mrs. Susan Culpepper Barfoot states that this substantial, two-story frame residence was built by her husband’s grandfather, George Barfoot. According to her account, her husband, George A. Barfoot (1875 – 1964), remembered hearing as a small child that his grandfather had inherited a sizable sum of money, but because he was a poor manager of money and property, it was put in the name of his son, James Jackson Barfoot, George A. Barfoot’s father.

The land was a gift from Larry D. Tomlinson, the brother of James J. Barfoot’s wife. The deed, dated May 31, 1879, indicated that the house was built about then. James Jackson Barfoot, listed in the 1908 City Directory as a policeman, and his wife resided here until their deaths. It was then inherited by their son, George A. Barfoot, one of the earliest and most active real estate and rental agents in Wilson. Barfoot was the owner of much property in Wilson, much of which was subdivided and developed during the 1910s, 1920s, and 1930s. His wife, whom he married in 1910, was the daughter of prominent carriage maker Cicero Culpepper. The Culpepper House stands adjacent of this house.

Archived in May, 2014

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 18734

More Old Houses

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]