From The Archives
c. 1790 Federal
Pruitt Plantation (Circa. 1790/1846)
Hidden on a 25-acre estate-like setting just outside of Brookneal, Virginia, is an undiscovered American treasure. A home steeped in history just waiting for someone to unlock its secrets. The largely unaltered home retains all of its original mantels, millwork, windows, and beaded weatherboard siding, all while receiving substantial restoration from its past two caretakers. The Architectural Research Department of Colonial Williamsburg described this property as a substantially intact well preserved home with very refined details. A rare find and a jewel of a Virginia property.
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||3,260|
|Unheated Sq. Ft.||1,178|
- 1st Floor Bath
- 1st Floor Bedroom
- Dining room
- Laundry Room
- Living room
- Unfinished Basement
- Utility Room
- Master bedroom upstairs
- Original wood windows
- Slate Roof
- Tin Roof
- Central air
- Heat pump
- Oil Heating
- Claw-foot Tub(s)
- Mature plantings.
- Original millwork thoughout.
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
Pruitt Plantation (aka. The Cook-Adams Place) (Circa 1790/1846)Pruitt Plantation (aka. The Cook-Adams Place)
831 Cook Avenue, Brookneal VA 24528
Pruitt Plantation, hidden on an estate like setting, is an undiscovered American treasure and historic home lovers dream.
Built by Michael Pruitt, neighbor to Patrick Henry and provider of aid to the Continental Army, the home witnessed the birth of a nation as an outpost on the Colonial frontier. Then under Peyton Nowlin’s ownership, it thrived as a 1400 ac. tobacco plantation in the antebellum South at the hand of slavery. After Mr. Nowlin’s passing in 1860, the Cook-Adams family took the property into the next era in American history. The home survived the Civil War and stood witness to the fall of southern planter society in post war Virginia. During the Great Depression it was sold to a timber company. From then until the beginnings of its restoration in the 1970s, it was a boarding house, tenant house, and saw a golf course come and go from its pastures.
The house has remained largely unaltered, retaining all its original mantels, millwork, windows, and beaded weatherboard siding, as well as receiving substantial restoration from its past two caretakers.
You enter into a spacious foyer with period stenciling. The entire enterior of the house has been recently painted in the Colonial Williamsburg color scheme. Both downstairs parlors and upstairs bedrooms are spacious. A later 1900s addition easily becomes a convenient downstairs bedroom with potential for half bath. The kitchen is located in a earlier section with very refined details and co-located laundry/pantry room. Rear mudroom access provides more functional space in this roomy grand Virginia home. The home sets on 25 functional acres with good pastures and some fencing. Remaining historic outbuildings include a smokehouse and corn crib.
Archived in May, 2012
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.