OldHouses.com logo

From The Archives

Listing No. 8041

1910 Beaux Arts
Elkhart, IN







Ruthmere

The Ruthmere Mansion (formerly the Albert and Elizabeth Beardsley Residence) is a three-story Beaux Arts mansion that is the most prominent historic residence in Elkhart, Indiana. Built in 1910 and refurbished in the early 1970s, the Ruthmere Mansion is now open to the public as a museum.

Ruthmere is located along the St. Joseph River in Elkhart, Indiana. The architect for this home was Enoch Hill Turnock, commissioned by Albert and Elizabeth Beardsley in 1908 to design the home, which the Beardsleys named this home in memory of their only child, Ruth, who died at seven month. ("Mere" reflects the Latin root maris and refers to the home's proximity to water). The mansion was a place of business, family, political and social gatherings until the deaths of the Beardsleys in 1924. Robert Beardsley of The Beardsley Foundation purchased the mansion in 1967 with the main goal of restoring it to its original beauty in order to create a museum for the community. Restoration took place between 1969 and 1973 when the mansion was made available to the public. The property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The Beardsley Avenue Historic District was established several years later.

Contact Information:

Phone: 574/ 264-0330

www.ruthmere.org

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

To view this listing go to:
www.oldhouses.com/8041

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

©2022 Copley Internet Systems, Inc.