OldHouses.com logo

From The Archives

Listing No. 6753

c. 1746 Georgian Colonial
Philadelphia, PA





Cedar Grove Mansion

Cedar Grove, which was moved from its original site in the Frankford section of Philadelphia to Fairmount Park in 1926-1928, served as a summer residence for five generations of the Coates, Paschall, and Morris families of Philadelphia. In 1746, Elizabeth Coates Paschall, a widow with three children, purchased the property and within a few years began construction on a small summer house of grey native stone, consisting of the present dining room, upper bed chamber and back rooms. Cedar Grove began to evolve as the result of numerous additions made to it by succeeding generations of the family. Through the generosity of Lydia Thompson Morris, the last of the family to possess Cedar Grove, the house and its surviving original furnishings were presented to the city of Philadelphia in 1928.

Contact Information:

Phone: (215) 763-8100

www.philamuseum.org/visit/20-566-41.html

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

To view this listing go to:
www.oldhouses.com/6753

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

©2022 Copley Internet Systems, Inc.