OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 1803

More Old Houses

From The Archives

1914 Craftsman Bungalow

Franklin-Rosemary Historic District
Chapel Hill, North Carolina

1914 Harriet M Berry Bungalow

Front view
Front view
The front yard has a sunny southern exposure. Front porch view opens to the expansive lawn and gardens of the historic 1840's Horace Williams House across the street.
Striking 1914 Grand Craftsman Bungalow near the University of North Carolina campus and downtown Chapel Hill restaurants and shops. Recently completed “Arts and Crafts makeover” has highlighted and enhanced the home’s authentic period style.

Scroll down for more information
Rear view
Rear view
Kitchen from Sun Room
Kitchen from Sun Room
Living Room to Sun Room
Living Room to Sun Room
Bedrooms 3
Full Baths 2
Half Baths 1
Heated Sq. Ft. 3,214
Stories 2
Acres 0.4
Lot Size 95 x175


  • 1st Floor Bath
  • Attic
  • Breakfast Room
  • Den
  • Dining room
  • Entry Hall
  • Kitchen
  • Living room
  • Unfinished Basement
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Automatic outside lights
  • Driveway - Dirt
  • Fresh paint
  • Garden
  • Patio
  • Porch
  • Restored exterior
  • Built-in Bookcases
  • Built-in Cabinets
  • Fireplaces
  • Grand staircase
  • Original wood windows
  • Copper Roof
  • Walk-In Closets
  • Wood floors
  • Shingle Roof
  • Central air
  • City sewer
  • City water supply
  • Dishwasher
  • Disposal
  • Gas heating
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Security System
  • Sprinkler System
  • Water Heater - Gas
  • Claw-foot Tub(s)
  • Pocket Doors
  • Sleeping Porch
  • (2 zones)
  • • “Rainforest” marble bathroom countertops
  • • 10 foot ceilings downstairs, 9 foot upstairs.
  • • 40 yr Fiberglass shingles (2005), copper porch roof and gutters
  • • Backup power generator ready
  • • Brick patio
  • • Central heating & AC
  • • Custom hand hammered copper range hood.
  • • Extensive quality updating in 2005: new plumbing, electrical, dual zone HVAC, roof, kitchen, baths, insulation, new lawn & landscaping
  • • Granite river stone foundation
  • • Hardwood floors – white oak, teak, pine
  • • High quality historic lighting throughout – many antique or handcrafted for this home.
  • • Irrigation system
  • • Large daylight basement – 32’x26’
  • • Many original wavy glass windows.
  • • Many special trees and scrubs
  • • Matching Quartersawn white oak cabinetry, furniture style, arts & crafts hardware, matching in kitchen and bathrooms
  • • Open, bright floor plan.
  • • Plaster walls/ceilings
  • • Professional 6-burner Wolf dual-fuel range, Subzero built-in refrigerator, wine cooler, built-in microwave
  • • Soapstone kitchen countertops
  • • Two fireplaces (brick in living room, original tile in master)
  • • Two master sized bedrooms: One with fireplace and insuite bath with large shower and original cast iron tub; Each BR with original walk-in closets
  • • Walk-in Pantry
  • • Washer/dryer room upstairs
  • • Wonderful old Chapel Hill stone walls

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.


Handsome craftsman style home built in 1914. The home's recently completed “arts & crafts makeover” received a Chapel Hill Preservation Society award. The home was featured on the 2006 Chapel Hill Holiday House tour. Located on a quite street in downtown Chapel Hill and within easy walking distance to the University of North Carolina campus, Franklin Street restaurants and shops. Situated on .38 acres surrounded by old stone walls. Magnificent wide and deep front porch with exposed heart pine floors. Formal living and dining room. Sunroom/family room opens to the eat-in kitchen. The 3,214 sq. ft. home has most of the original fabric in place. Many windows, most with original wavy glass, keep the interior bright. 10 ft ceilings downstairs, 9 ft upstairs. Large new kitchen with quartersawn white oak cabinetry, soapstone countertops, and professional appliances.

House History

Harriet Morehead Berry built this bungalow in 1914. Miss Berry was known for her legislative work that brought North Carolina out-of-the-mud by creating a network of all-weather roads connecting every county seat and state institution. For this achievement she became known as the “Mother of Good Roads”. In 1919 Miss Berry passed on the home to her sister Mary Brown, university nurse, and husband, Kent Brown, a professor of German. When Mary Brown died in 1967 the home along with substantial stocks and bonds were willed to the University. The University later sold it to another professor of German, Petrus Tax. The Taxes raised five children in the house until 2004 when they sold it.

Archived in July, 2007

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 1803

More Old Houses

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top