From The Archives
c. 1845 Historic Home
Vachel Lindsay Home State Historic Site
Scroll down for more information
The Vachel Lindsay Home, located just south of the Illinois Executive Mansion, is a two-story frame structure erected prior to the Civil War. Lindsay’s father purchased the house in 1878 and in 1893 constructed a rear addition to the original L-shaped building. The first floor contains an entry hall, two parlors, library, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, and pantry. The second floor comprises a central hall, sewing room, five bedrooms, bathroom, and trunk room. In 1971 the home was designated a National Historic Landmark and in 1972 was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Visitors receive conducted tours of the Home, emphasizing Lindsay’s poetry and art.
Visit the Vachel Lindsay Home Association's website http://www.vachellindsayhome.org/
Open: Hours are seasonal. Please contact the site at 217/524-0901 or 217/785-7960 for more information.
Archived in November, 2011
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.