From The Archives
1852 Greek Revival
Salisbury, North Carolina 28144
Pre Civil War splendor!
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||3,103|
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
Circa 1852 Greek Revival survivor in the heart of the West Square
It's not everyday a pre civil war home comes to the market that is as stunning as the Maxwell house. Loaded with history, this house has seen it all, yet is remarkable original. Built in 1852 just one block from the center of the city by Thomas Maxwell, on the corner of S. Lee and E. Fisher St. The house was sold to B. F. Rodgers a local prominent business man. In 1876 the house burned to the ground and was promptly rebuilt on the same foot print to its original likeness, and that is the house we see today.
This is a rare example of early central Piedmont design. The home is rich with the artisan’s details: the marks of hand planed woodwork, original millwork on the staircase, and the tongue and groove walls (there is no plaster or sheetrock in the home). The house retains its original footprint, and the windows, doors, mantels, shutters, and even most of the hardware are original to the home. The house’s simple “I” plan includes a center hall and stairway in the single-pile two-story section. A semi-detached one-story ell containing a kitchen, dining room, and back porch/breezeway completed the structure. The hallway is still lit by what is believed to be an original light fixture, a fixture that was originally intended to operate via both gas light and new fangled electricity.
History surrounded this home.
Since it was only one block from our City Square, this home most surely saw Stoneman's Rai at the end of the Civil War. It had to have a birds eye view of Salisbury's Confederate Prison. It also witness the Woman's Suffrage movement in Salibury.
By the 1980's it had suffered itself, and was in a state of disrepair brought on by neglect and location. It was slated for demolition to make way for a parking lot! Historic Salisbury Foundation stepped in a raised money to buy and move the home to it's present location in the West Square, Salisbury's first and most sought after historic district.
The home was carefully restored and it shows. The home is resplendent with special features, such as the dining room’s hand painted floor, the faux-marble painted accents, typical of the time period, in the parlor, claw foot bath tub, and pierced porch balustrades. Every room features a fireplace. The master suites fireplace has been outfitted with gas logs.
Upon relocation to its current site, the deteriorated masonry elements were lost. All of the fireplaces and chimneys were rebuilt in 1985 and are in working order. In 2002, a 800 square foot living space was added under the existing house and includes a large family room, full bath, laundry room and fourth bedroom which could easily be used as an office or artist studio.
Archived in November, 2013
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.