The House was built in 1752 by Moses and Elizabeth Porter on a tract of land known as "Forty Acres and its skirts." These acres had been owned in common by the householders in the northeast quarter of the stockaded town of Hadley when it was laid out in 1659. After the Porter's only child, Elizabeth, married Charles Phelps in 1770, the house was enlarged and refined. Since 1799 there have been no structural changes. Early family members, along with numerous artisans, servants and slaves, made "Forty Acres" an important social and commercial link in local, regional and national networks of the 18th century.
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.