From The Archives
c. 1909 Farmhouse
Scroll down for more information
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
Milan Mill2648 Rectortown Road, Marshall, Virginia 20115
Location: Once in a great while a unique property becomes available in the quiet yet well known hunt country of Northern Virginia. Milan Mill offers this special opportunity for a buyer seeking a country lifestyle with incredible privacy, natural beauty and comfort. Located in northern Fauquier County just outside the village of Rectortown, this property allows for easy access to Routes 50, I-66 and is approximately 45 minutes to Washington Dulles International airport.
Property: “Milan Mill” consists of 37.68 acres of rolling hills and woodland tucked amongst large protected farms. It features a circa 1909 stucco farm house, an 1800’s field stone and frame water powered mill bisected by Goose Creek (a state scenic river) and Gap Run Creek. An old concrete dam along Goose Creek and a man-made ‘race’ still exist. An active spring feeds two large ponds teaming with fish. The property was placed into a conservation easement held by Fauquier County.
Main House: “The miller’s house” is a lovely stucco farm house originally built circa 1909 with some renovations over the years. The house is beautifully sited above the mill and yet is tucked into the hillside making it very private and not very visible from the road. The large back porch overlooks the mill and a large expanse of the Goose Creek flowing in an arch around the lowest part of the property. The house is deceivingly large although it does not appear that way on approach. It has four total levels with four bedrooms, two and one-half baths, a walk-out basement and a walk-up attic. It features a spacious eat-in kitchen, family room with a wood burning fireplace, formal living room, and formal dining room. The full basement includes a wood paneled recreation room with wet bar, separate office, and storage and utility rooms. The spacious walk-up attic features three large windows and is currently used for storage. The house has many windows and is filled with light. The ceilings are 9 feet on the first floor and there are hardwood floors throughout. The septic system was upgraded, a new water filter system was installed, and air conditioning was added in 2006.
Stone Grist Mill: Just below the main house nestled in the trees is a three-story stone and frame grist mill built in the early 1800’s. Still operating in 1952, it was thought to have been the last functioning mill in Northern Fauquier County. Local lore claims that this mill was burnt during the Civil War and rebuilt again possibly in the 1870’s. A small creek brought water from the dam on Goose Creek down to the back side of the mill into an 8-10 foot concrete pit holding a turbin wheel. The weight of the water forced the wheel to turn as it flowed out the bottom into the tail race. Also found within the foundation is a piece of an old French buhr stone, thought by miller’s to be the best grinding stone available worldwide. This imported stone can only be found in a small area in France.
In the last quarter century, the standing seam metal roof was replaced and the stonework re-pointed. The interior workings of the mill have remained largely untouched with gears, cog wheels, belts and millstones still evident. The frame side of the mill was said to have been used as a blacksmith shop. Two main floor joists were recently replaced to reinforce the floor to allow for the storage of farm equipment in the frame section. In the 1950’s, Fauquier County replaced the bridge over Goose Creek and moved Rectortown Road to just North of the house. Old Rectortown Road still exists between the house and the mill and the original stone bridge piers can be seen on either side of the Goose Creek.
Outbuildings: Outbuildings include a small spring house, five stall barn with covered shed-row and large tack room, and two small storage sheds. There are fenced paddocks and a leveled area created for a riding ring. The property is surrounded on three sides by over 500+ acres of protected farm land. Located in Piedmont Fox Hound’s prime hunting territory, this property provides unmatched ride out and is within hacking distance of several meets.
Archived in April, 2013
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.