The William H. Johnson House (c. 1870) is an NJ State & National Register building named for the New Brunswick craftsperson who first owned it. Johnson lived here with his wife Sarah and daughter Adilade. The house is a wonderful example of Victorian craftsmanship, built by and for New Brunswick residents in the Italianate style, right after the Civil War when New Brunswick experienced a post-war economic boom. Architectural components including the tall narrow windows with arched tops, double bays, cornice brackets, and low pitched roofs exemplify the Italianate style. It is significant because of the high level of integrity of its original decorative components, including some anaglypta wallpaper from the late 1800's presumed to be hung by William H. Johnson himself. Friends of the William H. Johnson House was founded to preserve the home.
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.