From The Archives
1895 Queen Anne Victorian
Beverly, West Virginia 26253
Ward Mansion also known as "Edgewood"
Scroll down for more information
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
Sitting atop the highest hill overlooking the town, the 4,600 sq. ft. house is designed with a hip main roof of patterned slate with metal in the rounded turrets on the northwest corner and in the center of the south elevation. There are three porches with turned balustrades and decorative posts. The trim, woodwork, interior mantels and detail exemplifies the proliferation of wood trim “Stick Style” ornamentation found in West Virginia at that time as a result of the state’s lumbering operations.
The interior, finished with tongue and groove hardwood floors, consists of an entrance/stair hall, two parlors, a dining room with a three-sided bay extension on the south, and a kitchen with pantry. The original fireplace in the front drawing room is two-tiered with round supporting columns and a mirror on the upper shelf.
The second floor contains four large bedrooms and two bathrooms. Additionally, the house has a full basement and attic.
During the Civil War, Randolph County was of major importance due to its location to the Staunton to Parkersburg Turnpike. Beverly, then the county seat, created in 1797, lay on the Staunton to Parkersburg Turnpike, which was chartered in 1824. Beverly was generally controlled and occupied by Federal troops, with occasional takeovers by the CSA. It acted as headquarters for many war movements and scouting activities that occurred in Randolph, Pocahontas and the southern counties of Western Virginia/West Virginia.
The Ward family is that of prominent lawyer John Baylis Ward, born in 1852 in Elkins, Virginia (now West Virginia). The Ward family has lived in Randolph County since 1788, when Sylvester Ward was listed as trustee in the charter for the Town of Beverly, then the county seat.
The Butcher family is one of the older families in the town, having settled in the county in the late 18th century. Their contributions include Bernard L. Butcher, a lawyer, who was owner of The Randolph Tribune, the county’s first newspaper, and served as prosecuting attorney of Randolph County. Eli Baxter Butcher, who served as county assessor and later as county sheriff, was among other members of the Butcher family to occupy public service positions in the county.
Archived in February, 2013
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.