OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 4534

Prev Next # 44 of 50

of the list
Advanced Search

Back to List

New Search

From The Archives

c. 1800 Greek Revival

Tyson House

Northern Exposure
Northern Exposure
Totally Restored and Renovated
The Tyson House, one of the county’s most stylish early dwellings, stands at the center of the historic village of Carbonton NC. Documentary and architectural evidence suggests that the house was built by the Tyson Family before 1805. Cornelius Tyson, Sr. (1722-94 or -95), acquired the land on which the on which the house stands in 1765 and had apparently built a dwelling on the property by the time of his death.
Scroll down for more information
Paneled over mantel
Paneled over mantel
The main parlor is dominated by the original Georga stylee mantel and simple architrave fire place
Winder Stairs
Winder Stairs
The stairs have a delicate beaded and faceted newels with globe finials
Master Down
Master Down
Mater Bed Room (down)with buit-in cabinets
Bedrooms 4
Full Baths 2
Heated Sq. Ft. 2,736
Stories 2
Acres 1.0
Lot Size
208X298X148X298

Features.

  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 1st Floor Bedroom
  • 1st Floor Laundry Room
  • Attic
  • Crawl Space
  • Den
  • Dining room
  • Kitchen
  • Living room
  • Master bedroom downstairs
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Carport
  • Circular driveway
  • Driveway - Paved
  • Fresh paint
  • Porch
  • Rear Deck
  • Restored exterior
  • Workshop
  • Built-in Bookcases
  • Built-in Cabinets
  • Ceiling Fans
  • Fireplaces
  • High Ceilings
  • Jacuzzi
  • Natural gas fireplace
  • Wood floors
  • Tin Roof
  • Central air
  • Heat pump
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Septic Tank
  • Water Heater - Electric
  • 10-foot Ceilings
  • Transoms
  • 2 Zone HVAC
  • Seperate setting area in Bedrooms
  • Spa/hot Tub on Deck
  • Storage building
  • Tile
  • Whole House Generator
  • Work Shop

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.

Local and Regional Links.

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nclee

History source for Lee County NC

chathamhistory.org

The village of Carbonton was located in Chatham CO NC until 1908

www.history.ncdcr.gov

North Carolina Archives and History

www.tourfactory.com/486631

Virtural Tour of Home

Tyson Home History

The Tyson House, one of the county’s most stylish early dwellings, stands at the center of the historic village of Carbonton NC. Documentary and architectural evidence suggests that the house was built by the Tyson Family before 1805. Cornelius Tyson, Sr. (1722-94 or -95), acquired the land on which the on which the house stands in 1765 and had apparently built a dwelling on the property by the time of his death.

Aaron Tyson (1760-1805) inherited the property from his father and either occupied his father ‘s house or built anew. With his brother, Benjamin Tyson, Aaron acquired the Connor Dowd Mill at Carbonton in 1791, and with Archibald McBryde and Murdock McKenzie he operated the Aaron Tyson & Company store, an important early business in the region. (The Moore county census schedules describe Tyson’s Store as “one of the most public places in the county”.)

The Tyson house was purchased about 1820 by Isaac Roberts, who later willed it to his daughter, Mary Chalmers Robert Hayes, wife of William A. Hayes

The original framed house was a two story dwelling with two tired front porch. In 1950 the second story was partially removed and made into a garret, and the house was given a new roof with a front shed dormer and engaged front porch that disguised it as a Craftsman bungalow. Original exterior features remain however most notably the five bay front elevation, with its nine-over-nine sash windows and the Flemish-bond brick chimney on the south gable end, with its paved double shoulders and diamond motif formed by glazed headers.

Considerably more original fabric survived on the hall parlor plan interior. The hall features a paneled wainscot and Georgian-styled mantel with simple architrave fireplace surrounded and paneled over-mantel. A portion of the paneled over-mantel survives in the parlor, although the fireplace in that room was removed. Another notable feature is a winder stairs that rises from a rear shed room. The stairs have delicate beaded and faceted newels with globe finials, molded and beaded handrails and close-set turned balusters.

The renovation work on the home was begun by the Woolard Family in early 1990 and was completed in 2006. The home stands today in as complete a restoration and modernization as possible to meet historical and livability needs of today’s or tomorrow owners.

Archived in June, 2010

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 4534

Prev Next # 44 of 50

of the list
Advanced Search

Back to List

New Search

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]