From The Archives
1854 Greek Revival
Salisbury, North Carolina 28144
The Andrew Murphy House Circa 1854
Scroll down below the map for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||4,850|
|Lot Size||110 x 188|
- Crawl Space
- Tin Roof
- City sewer
- City water supply
- Gas heating
- Security System
- Water Heater - Gas
- Claw-foot Tub(s)
- Ripple Glass
- Sleeping Porch
- Wrought Iron Fence
- 5 car pebble driveway
- Large old crepe myrtles & dogwood trees
- Mature boxwoods
- Picket fencing
- Sunporch off Kitchen
- Twelve Ionic columns
- Upper & lower front verandas
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
The Andrew Murphy House Circa 1854Located in the Historic District of Salisbury, North Carolina, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this Greek Revival house with double portico, was built in 1854 by a wealthy young merchant for his bride. A framed record, which hangs in the entry hall, reads that two lots were deeded to Andrew Murphy by John I. Shaver by indenture dated May 9, 1852. These lots originally encompassed approximately one-half of the block, and is situated on the highest point within the city and is truly the "Heart" of Salisbury’s Historic District. The same family has occupied the house for five generations, and has been featured on several of the Historic Salisbury Foundation’s annual “October Tours."
The contract for the construction of this Greek Revival house was signed by Andrew Murphy and Michael Davis, the builder, on December 14, 1852. Wood for the dwelling was aged on the property for two years prior to it raising. The original structure, which has an underpinning of granite rock, was 44 feet by 20 feet with two rooms below and two rooms above, with an ell 19 by 20 feet with one room below and one room above, and a piazza in the front of the two stories. There are three brick chimneys with six fireplaces. The outbuldings, which no longer stand, consisted of a kitchen, dairy and smoke house. The original well house still remains on the property.
One of the many focal points of the home is the Parlour wallpaper, which is original to the house and is still in tact. It is dark green velour featuring a white floral motif, with gold leaf outline and highlights. The wallpaper is documented at the Smithsonian Museum. Andrew Murphy and his wife purchased the wallpaper from Longstreth and Brothers, Wholesalers of Philadelphia, on March 6, 1856. The original bill of sale remains in the home along with the original deed and Building Contract. Also remaining in the home, are many of the original furnishings, some of which, will be offered for sale.
The architectural features of this home include 12 Ionic columns supporting the two porches, original millwork, deep crown moldings, mantels and over-mantels. There's 12 foot ceilings downstairs and 10 foot ceilings upstairs, built-in cabinets, transoms, heart of pine wood floors, and the original wooden windows. All 6 fireplaces are exceptionally oversized and are surrounded by the original custom mantels.
The downstairs of the home is centrally heated by a gas furnace and has 2 separate central air conditioners. The upstairs rooms still retain their individual gas heaters and are cooled with window units. The water is heated by gas. There are many ceiling fans throughout the house for comfort and convenience. The kitchen offers an electric stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and disposal. The water and sewer are connected to the city utility system. There is a security system for added safety and security.
The front, and a portion of the side yard is enclosed with a custom made wrought iron fence, and some of the original white picket fencing still stands along the old English Garden located on the side of the house. A large deck overlooks the spacious backyard and garden area, and is fully fenced for dog-lovers.
This home is located in the beautiful West Square Historic District and is only a short walk from downtown Salisbury where there are 75 shops and 15 restaurants. A variety of churches are also in the walking area, as is the public library. Salisbury is a historic city of about 28,000 and is located about mid-way between the cities of Charlotte, Winston Salem and Greensboro, North Carolina.
Archived in January, 2013
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.