From The Archives
1893 Renaissance Revival
Guthrie, Oklahoma 73044
Hoover Bros. Livery Stable - Cammack's Barn
Scroll down for more information
- Dining room
- Entry Hall
- Laundry Room
- Living room
- Master bedroom upstairs
- Fenced Yard
- Rear Deck
- Storage Building
- 2nd Staircase
- Built-in Cabinets
- Ceiling Fans
- Ceramic Tile
- High Ceilings
- Walk-In Closets
- Wood floors
- Shingle Roof
- Central air
- City sewer
- City water supply
- Gas heating
- Water Heater - Electric
- Water Heater - Gas
- 12-foot Ceilings
- Stained Glass Window(s)
- 3 & 1/2 Baths
- 6800 sq.ft. m/l
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
Local and Regional Links.
Details of House & CommunityBuilt in 1893 as the Cammack Barn and originally operated as the Hoover Bros. Livery Stable, this wonderful building pre-dates Oklahoma statehood by fourteen years. It has served, among other things, as a livery stable, tinsmith shop, jazzercise studio, saddle shop, and church. Conversion to a home was begun by the previous owners in the early 1990's and has been refined to it’s current condition by the present owners. In addition to the improvements, the current owners purchased the property next door and fenced the two properties as one, allowing a rare downtown feature, a small easily maintained yard and garden area. The building measures approximately 33 ft. by 103 ft. presenting 6800 sq. ft. m/l.
The ground floor is divided into an office/retail space of approximately 775 sq. ft and a garage/hobby area of approximately 2000 sq. ft. The current owners use the office area as an internet sales office, it is wired for telephone/internet/television. The garage area currently serves as a hobby shop for vintage cars. It also provides a rare commodity for this type of building, indoor parking for your vehicles. It contains a 3/4 bath as well as a small separate room with a deep sink and storage. The 14" thick solid brick walls insulate the garage space making it a comfortable year round shop. The walls are a great backdrop for a collection of signs, garage art, etc. Of course, if the buyer has interests other than automobiles, it provides a great area for use in any hobby, art, or craft.
Upstairs, the living quarters feature two bedrooms and 2 ½ bathrooms. The large master bedroom and bath has two walk-in closets, as well as a separate shower and a jetted tub. The second bedroom has it’s own full bathroom and large walk-in closet. There is a sitting room located between the two bedrooms that could serve as a reading or TV area. A utility room adjoins the master bedroom and sitting room.
The huge living/dining/kitchen space features beautiful refinished original pine floors, high vaulted ceilings, and an antique pressed tin highlight over the dining area. A raised floor separates the kitchen space which has granite and tile counter tops. There is a nice sized storage island in the kitchen that can serve as a breakfast bar. The entire living area features solid oak crown mouldings, baseboards, and door trim.
The current TV/recreation room has a raised dedicated space for any big screen television. It, also, has a ½ bath, counter-top, bar refrigerator, and a pass-thru to the kitchen for snacks. The floor in this room is the original floor; it has been left “as-is” to ease worries of spills, children’s toy marks, etc. There is ample sitting area, currently used for crafts and grandchildren. This room could easily accommodate a weaving loom, pool table, foosball, air hockey table, or any other craft or hobby equipment.
At the rear of the lawn is an approximately 24 ft. by 24 ft. concrete block building that is used as garden storage and a woodworking shop. It makes a nice project room for a messy hobby. A 10 ft by 12 ft. second floor deck trimmed in wrought iron and floored with Trex, the recycled, no-maintenance deck material, has been added to the main building. The door to the deck was cut through the thick brick walls and features an oak Andersen patio door.
The home is located in Guthrie, Oklahoma which was settled in one day by the land run of 1889 and served as the original capitol of Oklahoma Territory. The telegram from Theodore Roosevelt confirming Oklahoma statehood arrived next door at the State Capitol Publishing Company building. It is still standing and in use as a museum operated by the Oklahoma State Historical Society. Diagonally across the street is the Blue Belle Saloon where Cowboy star Tom Mix worked as a bartender before going on to fame in Hollywood.
According to legend, a young female outlaw nicknamed "Cattle Annie" was arrested while hiding here in the livery stable by the famed Oklahoma lawman Bill Tilghman. After the arrest, she was taken to jail where she used her "female charms" to convince the jailer to release her. Upon release she rejoined her friends, the infamous Doolin Gang, and continued her outlaw ways. The building and the town are filled with tales of western life and legend. They offer a rare opportunity to be a part of history.
Downtown Guthrie is the largest single Historic Preservation District in the country. It features some of the finest examples of commercial Victorian architecture still remaining. This property is within this downtown historic district. The town hosts the Oklahoma International Bluegrass & Country Swing Festival, Christmas Victorian Walk, 89er Day (celebrating the land run), the Apples and Quilts festival, various car shows and is home to several interesting museums.
Guthrie has been used as a filming location for several movies, including "Rainman" and "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys". A new movie entitled "Pearl" has just finished shooting. Guthrie was chosen because the downtown architecture fit the 1930's time-frame. Some of the downtown streets were covered with dirt to represent an Oklahoma town during the depression.
Restaurants, City Hall, U.S. Post Office, drug stores, doctor’s offices, and shopping are all within 1½ blocks of the home. A grocery store, several churches, Y.M.C.A., library, city park, and the high school football/baseball stadium are all within five blocks. The Pollard Theater, home of live theater productions, is within a block. The Double Stop Fiddle Shop, four blocks away, presents monthly Bluegrass/country shows. A good selection of services and shopping is within walking distance, reducing your commuting expenses and providing a bit of exercise.
Guthrie is an easy 30 minute drive to downtown Oklahoma City’s Bricktown area which features NBA Basketball and concerts at the Ford Center, dining from fine to funky, minor league baseball, Bass Pro Shop, and Toby Keith’s "I Love This Bar & Grill”. It is an approximate 40 minute drive to Oklahoma City’s airport for travelers. If you enjoy taking University courses or have a child entering college, the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University are within 40 minutes. The University of Central Oklahoma is located in Edmond and is about 20 minutes away.
Archived in December, 2012
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.