OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 3790

Prev Next # 7 of 33

of the list
with between 6000 and 7000 square feet

Back to List

New Search

From The Archives

c. 1802 Federal

The Meigs House

front View
front View
View from Muskingum Park
The original home was built in 1802 by Return Johnathan Meigs Jr. when there were still Indians in the area. Ohio became a state in 1803.
Scroll down for more information
tourist sign
tourist sign
Rotary sign giving brief resume of the first owner
rear patio
rear patio
Back entrance and quiet area under tall evergreens
front fireplace
front fireplace
This original mantel was brought by wagon from maryland in the late 1700's
Bedrooms 5
Full Baths 4
Half Baths 1
Heated Sq. Ft. 6,000
Stories 3
Lot Size 186 X180

Features.

  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 2nd Floor Laundry Room
  • Attic
  • Basement
  • Dining room
  • Entry Hall
  • Exercise Room
  • Gourmet Kitchen
  • Library
  • Living room
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Automatic outside lights
  • Circular driveway
  • Driveway - Paved
  • Garden
  • Patio
  • Porch
  • Built-in Bookcases
  • Ceiling Fans
  • Ceramic Tile
  • Fireplaces
  • Gas Logs
  • Grand staircase
  • High Ceilings
  • Original wood windows
  • Walk-In Closets
  • Wood floors
  • Shingle Roof
  • Central air
  • City sewer
  • City water supply
  • Dishwasher
  • Disposal
  • Gas heating
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Security System
  • Water Heater - Electric
  • Water Heater - Gas
  • 12-foot Ceilings
  • Claw-foot Tub(s)
  • Servant's Staircase
  • Sleeping Porch

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.

The picture of the sign in front of the house tells about Mr.Meigs. He and his family owned the home from 1802 until 1867 when it was purchased by the Follett family. They owned it until 1927 when Allen C. Hall purchased the property. His estate sold it to a corporation in 1967. The present owners purchased it in 2001.

Before the Lock and dams were built on the Ohio River it flooded quite often and in 1913 there
was a 1,000 year flood that covered most of downtown Marietta. In 1917 the Folletts raised the house (out of the flood plain) and moved it back on the property. This move prompted a complete rehabilitation and the building of a large two story addition. In 1967 the corporation turned the home into an office building and removed the tennis court and replaced it with a parking lot.

The present owners have rehabilitated the home and it is once again one of the premier homes in Marietta. The home is federal style (post revolutionary period) 4 rooms up and 4 rooms down and a center hall. The owners used an Interior Decorator who was trained in Williamsburg.

Archived in December, 2012

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 3790

Prev Next # 7 of 33

of the list
with between 6000 and 7000 square feet

Back to List

New Search

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]