OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 35572

With at least 4 acres
Prev Next # 25 of 30

Back to List

New Search

Nearest Listings

For Sale

$ 699,899

c. 1835 Log Home

1115 Chenault Ln
Castalian Springs, Tennessee 37031

Historic Brown-Chenault Home

Excellent opportunity awaits for your personal residence, event venue or short term rental! This circa 1830's home was nominated and accepted into the National Register of Historic Places in 1985! The Brown-Chenault House is a two-story frame and log residence located on Chenault Lane in Castalian Springs on 5.58 acres. 3200+ S.F. w/ 4 bedrooms & 2 full bathrooms.

Open family style kitchen with combination formal dining room, large living room, separate den and separate utility! 7 fireplaces w/ gas ran to all! Most of the home retained much of its original details including staircases, mantels, exterior and interior doors, railings, locks, and doorknobs!

Gorgeous acreage with huge barn, well house, smoke house & stone walls line the property!

Scroll down below the map for more information

historicbrownchenaulthouse.com

2 Stories
Bedrooms 4
Full Baths 2
Heated Sq. Ft. 3,230
Acres 5.6
Zoning RES
Residential
Property Taxes
$ 1,549
MLS No. 2625247

Features.

  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 1st Floor Bedroom
  • 1st Floor Laundry Room
  • Attic
  • Den
  • Dining room
  • Entry Hall
  • Living room
  • Barn
  • Carport
  • Porch
  • 2nd Staircase
  • Built-in Bookcases
  • 7 Fireplaces
  • Gas Logs
  • Wood floors
  • Central air
  • City water supply
  • Dishwasher
  • Disposal
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Septic Tank
  • Butler's Pantry
  • Claw-foot Tub(s)
  • Stained woodwork/doors
  • Covered Back Porch
  • Covered Front Porch
  • Covered Side Porch
  • Patio

Like This Listing?

Contact the Agent directly.

Showings by appointment only.

Michelle Patterson photo Michelle Patterson

Mobile: 615 804-1187
Phone: 855 856-9466

Patterson Team Real Estate

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Equal Housing Opportunity logo

More About This House

Historical Register information available upon request.
More renovation documentation also available.

History and Construction

The Brown-Chenault House is an historic two-story frame and log residence located on Chenault Lane in Castalian Springs, Tennessee. Originally constructed ca. 1835 in the "I" House style, it featured two rooms on the main level with a central staircase in the middle and an identical layout above with a symmetrical front elevation. This was a popular style found throughout colonial America although the term was coined for its frequent presence in "I" states (Illinois, Indiana, etc.) It also forms a capital "I" shape when viewed from the front accounting for the central two-story corridor and flanking rooms on each side. The original structure is log with large limestone chimneys and has retained much of its original details including staircases, mantels, exterior and interior doors, railings, locks, and doorknobs. A kitchen was added ca. 1850 to the back left side of the home, and a two-story addition was completed ca. 1885 connecting the house and kitchen. One last addition was completed in 2008 with a modern kitchen, laundry room, and pantry.

An extensive history of ownership for the property dates back to one of Sumner County's earliest settlers, Anthony Bledsoe, in the 1780s. When the home was first built in 1835, it was part of a 200 acre parcel owned by George T. Brown. Brown and his family lived and farmed here until he sold the property to David Chenault in 1850. The Chenault family was extremely prominent in the area at the time and eventually acquired 2,500 acres of neighboring farms. The home and property continued to be owned by the Chenault family for many years, slowly being parceled off, until the home was finally sold outside the family in 1983.

The Brown-Chenault Home was nominated and accepted into the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

Historical Details & Recent Improvements

Located in Castalian Springs, in the heart of Middle Tennessee, lies the Brown-Chenault home, a residence listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built around 1835 from logs and stones collected from the land and carefully crafted into a home that still provides shelter and security today.

It began as a four room log structure with a central pass through. Around 1850, a separate structure used as a kitchen was built and then in 1885, a two-story structure was built to connect the kitchen with the main house.

In the downstairs east parlor, the mantle, chair-rails, picture rails, and baseboards are original. In this room is an ornate late Federal style mantel. The mantel, along with the interior and exterior doors, is particularly mentioned in the application for the home to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

True to quality construction at the time, the four original interior and exterior doors were pegged together with no nails being used. A rock fireplace is in each of the original 7 rooms and two stairways go to the second floors of the home.

In the west parlor is a great stone fireplace that would have been originally used to cook meals before the kitchen was later added. Known as the keeping room, this would have been the center for everyday family activities. The east parlor was used to receive and entertain special guests.

At some point the fireplace in the kitchen became sealed. Rumors abounded that treasures of some kind were hidden behind the plaster sealing the fireplace. In 2008 the decision was made to open the wall and excavate for treasure. Alas, the only treasure to be discovered were the beautiful stones of the fireplace that were restored to their original glory. An addition was built to create a modern kitchen and the original kitchen became a lovely dining room.

Through the years many decorators left their marks on the Brown-Chenault house. From floral wallpaper to bold red paint, and many shades in between, their choices reflected their personalities and decorating trends of the times. Some of the most bold choices were reserved for the beautiful floors; from linoleum and carpet to black onyx paint and shiny white enamel. In 2008, it was decided to hire a local artisan have all the floors restored to their original beauty.

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 35572

With at least 4 acres
Prev Next # 25 of 30

Back to List

New Search

Nearest Listings

Like This Listing?

Contact the Agent directly.

Showings by appointment only.

Michelle Patterson photo Michelle Patterson

Mobile: 615 804-1187
Phone: 855 856-9466

Patterson Team Real Estate

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Equal Housing Opportunity logo

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Pinterest
[X]