1832 Greek Revival
Saratoga Springs, New York 12866
The Captain Waterbury House
Prof. Kettlewell identifies the property and it appears prominently in his book “Saratoga Springs: An Architectural History” (Lyrical Ballads Bookstore; First Edition, 1991). Waterbury House is widely recognized as a “jewel” of the historic District.
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||3,400|
- Has Rentable Unit(s)
- Wood floors
- Cast Iron Radiators
- French doors
- Pocket Doors
- Vintage Hardware
- Floor-to-ceiling windows
More About This HouseThe property consists of an entire corner lot bordered by Franklin Street, Cherry Street, and Marvin Ally. In addition to the Capt. Waterbury House, there is a separate, adjacent, building lot. Taken together they reflect the original parcel when the city of Saratoga Springs was first plotted in about 1854. The property has been described as a "Walker's Paradise" as documented in walkscore.com: "Franklin Street has a Walk Score of 96 out of 100. This location is a Walker’s Paradise so daily errands do not require a car."
Originally used as a single-family residence, the Capt. Waterbury House has been lovingly maintained. It can be easily returned to a single family. It has a first floor variance for professional office, a second floor one bedroom apartment and a rear two-story two bedroom apartment. The overall condition is excellent and features modern electrical and plumbing, city approved parking lot with six spaces, and first floor ADA access and bath. It can be easily returned to its original use as a single family residence.
All the significant historic architectural elements of the house have been preserved. Front Doric columns are the original fluted wood as are the Greek Revival moldings, molding detail work, and intact, unaltered, 19th century triple hung floor to ceiling first floor " six over six pane " glass windows. The parlor contains a fireplace with native oak mantle. Entry to the parlor is through eight-foot sliding pocket doors. Floors are solid oak throughout. Even the building materials themselves are historically significant: the house itself is framed in Hemlock beams timbered from the nearby Adirondack Forest. The house has to be seen to be believed.
The City water provided is sourced from the same springs used to bottle "Saratoga Water" and sold in stores. Here it flows from the tap clean, cold, and delicious!
The property has an exceptionally large backyard of nearly 5000 ft.². As a result of the investigation and research efforts of the Saratoga Springs Historic Preservation Board, the Saratoga Springs Board of Zoning Appeals, and the Saratoga Springs Planning Board it was discovered that the "backyard" had historically been known as a separate lot – 11 Cherry St., and had been improved by a modest frame residence, long since lost!
Owners have partnered with the city of Saratoga Springs and obtained full city approval to re-create that historic lot and residence . The property has been legally subdivided and is building permit ready to construct a single-family residence with garage, thereby bringing back to life "11 Cherry St." Particulars of the approvals can be seen online at the Saratoga County Clerk’s office as Subdivision Map M2022-001.
Thus, the discerning purchaser has a choice of two options: (1) preserve the compound by maintaining the Capt. Waterbury House and improving the rediscovered rear lot as a location for an additional residence, garage, carriage house or other outbuildings or (2) take advantage of the subdivision, keep the Capt. Waterbury house and construct the new residence for investment or occupancy. Plans call for sidewalk and historic street lighting around the perimeter of this compound.
The Waterbury House alone is $1,100,000; and, the Cherry Street Lot alone is $325,000. Sellers highly motivated.
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.