OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 28789

Prev Next # 13 of 32

of the list
Advanced Search

Back to List

New Search

For Sale By Owner

$ 1,100,000

1765 Colonial

417 Main Street
Amesbury, Massachusetts

Amesbury Riverfront Colonial

Merrimac Riverfront with 46' deep water dock
Merrimac Riverfront with 46' deep water dock
Meticulously Restored 1765 Colonial on The Merrimac River.
4 Bedroom, 2.5 Bath, 3000+Sf, 46' Deepwater Dock.
Scroll down for more information

zillow listing info

Meticulously Restored 1765 Post and Beam
Meticulously Restored 1765 Post and Beam
2 Car Garage adjacent to red brick Courtyard
2 Car Garage adjacent to red brick Courtyard
Washington crossed River within view of home
Washington crossed River within view of home
Tastefully Restored retaining Historic Charm
Tastefully Restored retaining Historic Charm
Large Riverfront Lot with Perennial Gardens
Large Riverfront Lot with Perennial Gardens
Newly Designed Outdoor Spaces for Entertaining
Newly Designed Outdoor Spaces for Entertaining
2.5 Fully Updated Baths
2.5 Fully Updated Baths
4 Bedrooms
4 Bedrooms
6 Fireplaces 3 Converted to Natural Gas
6 Fireplaces 3 Converted to Natural Gas
3000+ Square Feet
3000+ Square Feet
Come See This Beautiful Property!
Come See This Beautiful Property!
Bedrooms 4
Full Baths 2
Half Baths 1
Heated Sq. Ft. 3,119
Unheated Sq. Ft. 1,200
Stories 3
Acres 0.4

Features.

  • Waterfront
  • 2 Car Garage
  • 6 Fireplaces

Like This Listing?

Seller Contact Information

Call Owner at 617-448-6376

John Nugent

Mobile: 617 448-6376

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Brief History of 417 Main Street

The house was built for Ezra Morrill in 1765 when Massachusetts was an English colony. Although George Washington didn’t sleep here, he undoubtedly saw the house when he crossed the river on the new ferry in 1789 and landed near the foot of Rocky Hill Road, very close to the original location of this house. That river-crossing was accompanied by a 21-gun- salute, witnessed by this house.

Ezra Morrill was a successful blacksmith for the local shipbuilding industry. The house stayed in the Morrill family for many generations until it was sold in September 1922 to Irving and Grace Atwood. It was originally built at 432 Main Street, just beyond the corner of Rocky Hill Road. When the Atwoods bought this house from the Morrill estate, they also bought Kingsbury’s Wharf where the house now stands. From 1855 when the Massachusetts State Legislature gave permission to Captain Henry Kingsbury to extend his land into the river channel, this property was a coal pocket where ships unloaded coal. The original documentation from the state legislature will be conveyed with the house. A copy of it hangs on the living room wall. Another interesting bit of history associated with the house is the baby's footprint on the paneled wall to the left of the living room door that leads to the front hall. Since the late 1780s everyone has painted around that little mark which was apparently made when a Morrill baby’s foot was pressed into wet paint

The Atwoods moved the house completely intact including the two chimneys, to its current location in October 1922. They added a small section to the end of the kitchen, the garage and the addition to the living room. During their ownership, the house was featured in the 1941 book The Architectural Heritage of the Merrimack by John Mead Howells. In 1957 the Atwood estate sold the house to Arthur and Barbara True. Arthur was a local boat builder who designed a sailboat known as the True Rocket. His boat yard was on the site of today’s Hawkswood condominiums, visible from the back of this house. Jim and Sally Chandler bought the property in November 1976, raising their two daughters there. They have opened the house for several benefit house and garden tours over the years they were here. They added the perennial gardens, fencing, the arbor and arch, the glass room, the deck and a couple of dormer windows.
The Chandlers were told by a neighbor, an eye witness, that while the house was being moved, it blocked the trolley tracks that ran along Main Street. Passengers would get off the trolley, walk around the house, and get on to another trolley that was waiting on the other side of the house, to continue on their way. Although we have been unable to find any photos showing the house actually being moved, we have many old photographs showing the house at various stages of its long and rich history which are compiled in a scrapbook that will stay with the house.

In December 2014, John Nugent and his son John purchased the property from the Chandlers after 38 years enjoying their 2 children and 3 grandchildren here. The Chandlers graciously shared the history above with The Nugents, who have gone on to restore the wide pine floors, paint and restore the walls and ceilings throughout, install a water evacuation system, replace the roof, update the master bathroom and do extensive landscaping and hardscaping, all in an effort to preserve and extend the charm and history of this lovely home. Thank you for your interest!

Listing Info

Come see this breathtaking waterfront property with 46 foot deep water dock and moorings with access to the Merrimack River, the Atlantic Ocean and beyond! Meticulously restored recently, this antique home offers gorgeous grounds with well designed perennial gardens, landscaping and hardscaping. Wide open views up and down river are unmatched! Built when MA was just an English colony, this home today comes with 6 fireplaces (3 gas), central air, high efficiency gas boiler, and a Rescon basement water removal system. There is also an updated kitchen with large stainless-steel center island, beautiful cabinetry and an abundance of recessed lighting. The master bedroom offers a separate living area and beautiful views of the river inspiring to awake to! This property is truly rich in history and character!

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 28789

Prev Next # 13 of 32

of the list
Advanced Search

Back to List

New Search

Like This Listing?

Seller Contact Information

Call Owner at 617-448-6376

John Nugent

Mobile: 617 448-6376

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]