c. 1805 Federal
The Bordley House
A grand early house on ONE acre of land within Historic Town on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Landmark entrance hall and stairway known to Maryland Historical Trust as one of the very finest.
The quiet grandeur of this building is pronounced. The many fully restored (and lined) fireplaces, original floors, inviting porches on both first and second levels, high ceilings, fine woodwork and mantels emphasize its importance in architectural history. PLUS central air-conditioning.
Located in Centreville. Centreville is a swift distance from Annapolis, Washington and, to the North, Chestertown which is home to Washington College. BWI airport is just an hour drive.
A bedroom for both Anapolis, Baltimore and Washington
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||3,760|
- Dining room
- Entry Hall
- Laundry Room
- Living room
- Utility Room
- Master bedroom upstairs
- Driveway - Paved
- Fenced Yard
- 2nd Staircase
- Built-in Bookcases
- Grand staircase
- High Ceilings
- Original wood windows
- Wood floors
- Shingle Roof: Asphalt shingle
- Tin Roof
- Central air
- City sewer
- City water supply
- Security System
- 10-foot Ceilings
- Plaster Walls
- Ripple Glass
- Servant's Staircase
- Sleeping Porch
- Wrap Around Porch
- 1 block to shops
- 5 fully lined original fireplaces
- Alarm system.
- Beautifully maintained grounds.
- Blocks to Corsica river.
- County seat of government.
- Graceful traditional floor plan.
- Handsome mature trees.
- Meticulously preserved & maintained.
- Modern heating and AC
- Modern utilities
- Most unusual grand stairway.
- Off street parking
- Original details abound.
- Two-tiered porches into garden.
- Waterfront historic town.
More About The Bordley HouseA newspaper nailed under a floorboard revealed that the porches and other modifications were made in 1907. The rear wing was added in 1840 and enlarged in about 1850.
Front porch replaced an earlier, smaller porch - 1891-1903.
Rarely does one find the dignity of this fine brick residence situated on a ONE-acre urban lot. The Bordley House is at the center of historic Centreville's history beginning about 1805.
The quiet grandeur of this building is pronounced. the many fully restored (and lined) fireplaces, original floors, inviting porches on both first and second levels, high ceilings, fine woodwork and mantel emphasizes its importance in architectural history.
The grand stairway is beautifully described by Orlando Ridout IV for the Maryland Historical Trust:
" The interior is laid out with a side passage double parlour plan.The passage extends the full depth across the north end of the house. The overall width of the passage is ten feet but the double stair extends 3'7" into that space along most of the north wall.
This stair is one of the most unusual in the county. It rises from both ends of the passage to a landing at the center of the north wall. These straight runs then join, turn 90 degrees and rise an additional six steps to the second floor passage. This transverse section stair is positioned above an elliptical arch, combined with the stair, create a highly ornamental effect."
There are four commodious bedrooms - all with handsome fireplace. The master bedroom enjoys views of the ground from the double -tiered rear porches.
The Bordley House 1805 with 19th additions.In his will of May 16, 1805, William Hackett left to his son, Henry, "a lot of land in Centreville which I purchased of Joseph H. Nicholson, Esquire and in which I am now erecting a new building containing one acre . . ."
Since that time, owners have included the Richard Tilghman Earles, Philip T. Davidsons, Madison Browns and the Dr. James Bordleys. Interestingly, Dr. Bordley was the fifth generation of physicians bearing the same name although this Dr. Bordley styled himself as "Dr. James Bordley, Jr."
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.