OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 27998

Prev Next # 42 of 68

of the list
Victorians

Back to List

New Search

For Sale

$ 750,000

c. 1850 Victorian: Queen Anne

The Edwards Waterhouse Inn or Your new Home!

Edwards Waterhouse Inn
Edwards Waterhouse Inn
From the street, situated on 1.9 acres in the Village of Fredonia, NY.
Newly REDUCED!!! My brick Queen Anne is for sale! Age and health are putting it on the market -- I love it so! Hoping to find a buyer who will love the house as we do ... perhaps even keep it operating as the successful B&B we built it into! This is a turnkey opportunity! Please contact me if you have questions!

The Edwards Waterhouse Inn is an historic Queen Anne house that is actually a house within a house! The original house was built around 1850 by F.S. Edwards and was a modest Italianate Villa; this was transformed, more than doubling the size, in 1895 by the new owner, Dr. John Waterhouse, into the magnificent Queen Anne Victorian that it is today. The house has had many uses, from a home, sanitarium, women’s college dormitory (known as “Alumni Hall”) and apartments.
As a Bed & Breakfast, the Edwards Waterhouse Inn was opened in 2012 and has enjoyed increasing success. The EWI is one of the remaining historic homes along Central Avenue in Fredonia, NY, and is located at the mid-point between the SUNY Fredonia campus and the central square of the Village of Fredonia.
The EWI offers five elegantly furnished rooms with private ensuite baths and WiFi access to guests with a discerning eye for more intimate lodging in beautiful surroundings. Each room is individually furnished with representative antiques, stunning fabrics and thematic décor. The EWI provides a full breakfast each morning to guests with unique menu items using local produce and regional food specialties. In all, the property encompasses, in addition to the public spaces and the innkeeper’s quarters, 7 bedrooms (5 guest rooms and 2 innkeeper bedrooms), 7 full bathrooms with 1 partial bath. It is zoned a Single Family Home/Bed & Breakfast with some 7,980 sq. ft. on a 1.9 acre lot on the prestigious, broad Central Avenue.

www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com
Scroll down for more information
Rear of house
Rear of house
What was the summer kitchen in 1895.
Pergola
Pergola
Comfortable outdoor seating in the rear side year with a water feature.
Front Porch
Front Porch
Restored graceful curved front porch
Side porch
Side porch
Off the dining room, wonderful for quiet breakfasts
Grand Parlor
Grand Parlor
A split room, 15 x 29.
Reception Room
Reception Room
17 x 20 ... essentially a second parlor
Foyer with Staircase
Foyer with Staircase
Main staircase in the house, 13 x 15
Morning Room
Morning Room
Used for couple breakfasts, games, 12 x 16
Front king bedroom
Front king bedroom
The Blue Room, 14 x 15, gas fireplace
Bedrooms 7
Full Baths 7
Half Baths 1
Heated Sq. Ft. 8,000
Stories 3
Acres 1.9
Lot Size
130.00 X 680.00
Property Taxes
Approximately 13,300
MLS No. MLS# 1044050

Features.

  • Has Rentable Unit(s)
  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 2nd Floor Laundry Room
  • Attic
  • Basement
  • Breakfast Room
  • Crawl Space
  • Den
  • Dining room
  • Entry Hall
  • Exercise Room
  • Foyer
  • Galley Kitchen
  • Laundry Room
  • Library
  • Living room
  • Music Room
  • Unfinished Basement
  • Utility Room
  • Walk-Up Attic
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Automatic outside lights
  • Circular driveway
  • Driveway - Dirt
  • Garden
  • Gazebo
  • 2 Outbuildings
  • Patio
  • Porch
  • Restored exterior
  • Sprinkler System
  • Storage Building
  • Storm Windows
  • Basement Workshop
  • 2nd Staircase
  • Carpet
  • Ceiling Fans
  • Ceramic Tile
  • 5 Fireplaces
  • Gas Logs
  • Grand staircase
  • High Ceilings
  • Natural gas fireplace
  • Asphalt shingle Roof
  • Wood floors
  • Shingle Roof: Asphalt shingle
  • Slate Roof
  • City sewer
  • City water supply
  • Dishwasher
  • Disposal
  • Gas heating
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Sprinkler System
  • Water Heater - Gas
  • Butler's Pantry
  • Carriage House
  • High Ceilings
  • Claw-foot Tub(s)
  • Plaster Walls
  • Ripple Glass
  • Steam Radiators
  • Tin Ceiling(s)
  • Widow's Walk
  • Outdoor lighting
  • Parking lot
  • Slate-roofed tower
  • Two porches
  • Water feature

Like This Listing?

Agent Contact Information

Showing by appointment only.
Further photos on Edwards Waterhouse inn Facebook page and website www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com

Maggie Bryan-Peterson

Phone: 716 672-6751
Mobile: 716 485-3289

www.howardhanna.com/Property/Detail/69-71-Central-Avenue-Pomfret-NY-14063/RochesterNY/1044042

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

More About This House

The Edwards Waterhouse Inn is an historic Queen Anne house that is actually a house within a house! The original house was built around 1850 by F.S. Edwards and was a modest Italianate Villa; this was transformed, more than doubling the size, in 1895 by the new owner, Dr. John Waterhouse, into the magnificent Queen Anne Victorian that it is today. The house has had many uses, from a home, sanitarium, women’s college dormitory (known as “Alumni Hall”) and apartments.
As a Bed & Breakfast, the Edwards Waterhouse Inn was opened in 2012 and has enjoyed increasing success. The EWI is one of the remaining historic homes along Central Avenue in Fredonia, NY, and is located at the mid-point between the SUNY Fredonia campus and the central square of the Village of Fredonia.
The EWI offers five elegantly furnished rooms with private ensuite baths and WiFi access to guests with a discerning eye for more intimate lodging in beautiful surroundings. Each room is individually furnished with representative antiques, stunning fabrics and thematic décor. The EWI provides a full breakfast each morning to guests with unique menu items using local produce and regional food specialties. In all, the property encompasses, in addition to the public spaces and the innkeeper’s quarters, 7 bedrooms (5 guest rooms and 2 innkeeper bedrooms), 7 full bathrooms with 1 partial bath. It is zoned a Single Family Home/Bed & Breakfast with some 7,980 sq. ft. on a 1.9 acre lot on the prestigious, broad Central Avenue.
The elegance and grace of the public rooms, including the grand parlor, the receiving room, the morning room and the main dining room, are ideal for catered small meetings, social group gatherings, small receptions, showers, etc. With the beauty of the facility, requests are often made for photographic opportunities for brides, and it is a favorite place for honeymoon stays and romantic get-aways. The highly efficient gourmet kitchen and food prep area is a chef's delight. The EWI also boasts a Fitness Room for guests.
The innkeeper’s quarters are located on the spacious third floor and includes an office and workroom space, extra storage, and loft-style living in the 1250 sq. ft. of hard-wood floored space, unique with its gabled 14-17 foot ceilings. There is a small galley kitchen and two full bathrooms.

Surrounding Area

The Edwards Waterhouse Inn (EWI) is located in Fredonia, NY, adjacent to the south shore of Lake Erie in Chautauqua County, New York. The Inn sits amidst Chautauqua County’s rich assortment of cultural attractions and recreational activities: in the heart of Lake Erie Wine Country, 8 miles from the Lily Dale Assembly, a little over 20 miles from the world-famous Chautauqua Institution, and 27 scenic miles from Jamestown, NY and the new National Comedy Center. Guests enjoy the intimacy of this small inn and its sophisticated amenities with the 5-star rating across the board and an annual recipient of the TripAdvisor™ Certificate of Excellence.
Fredonia, NY is located less than three hours from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Rochester, Niagara Falls, and Toronto and within an easy drive from Buffalo and Erie. With five amazing lakes and numerous waterways, no part of the Chautauqua-Lake Erie Region is more than 20 minutes from open water. An abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities are available in addition to the wealth of performing arts and tour historical attractions. Fredonia is also home to the State University of New York at Fredonia and known for its world-renowned School of Music and diversity of cultural and academic programs that welcome the public.
Chautauqua County is a robust travel market, anchored by the Chautauqua Institution. Edwards Waterhouse Inn is minutes from dozens of Lake Erie Wine Country Trail wineries. The inn is open year-round and offers varying activities such as celebratory teas, intimate weddings, meetings, receptions and baby/wedding showers. This is a wonderful turn-key business opportunity and includes the renovated carriage house with four, 2 bedroom apartments housing long term tenants for added monthly income! Furnishings, fixtures, appliances, supplies, and maintenance equipment included in sale (w/ the exception of some of the owner's personal furniture and items).

History

Intriguingly, the structure at 71 Central Avenue is actually a house within a house.
The original house at 71 Central Avenue was a square Italian Villa built in 1853 by Francis Smith Edwards. According to Dan Reiff, Art Historian Emeritus from SUNY Fredonia and author of numerous books about historical architecture in Fredonia, the drawing to the right is a good representation of the home that was found in the margin of the 1854 map of Chautauqua County. Although only three bays wide, it was given sophistication by its paired brackets, roof balustrade (in place of a more canonical cupola), and cast iron lintels.
The property passed through several hands before it was sold by R.P.Clement in April 1885 to John A.Waterhouse. Dr. John A. Waterhouse, a physician from Michigan who had moved to Fredonia in 1883, transformed the house into the current Queen Anne style by 1888. The wing was taken off and the south wall brought out and extended the length of the house with a bay window projection. A new mansard roof was put on, adding a story to the building. The tower was added to the northwest corner of the original building along with a brick entrance porch and stairway extension near the center. Cast iron lintels on the south and west sides, but not the north, were replaced by stone, and the roof was completely rebuilt. Except for the remaining 1850s style cast iron lintels on the north side of the house, and some noticeable changes in brickwork, one would never have thought the house was once an Italian villa. The architects for this transformation were Curtis and Archer.
John Waterhouse's wife Rose obtained a mortgage on the property in October 1889, probably to pay for the remodeling. In July 1892, they opened it as the Humanity Inn, with Dr. W.L. Wilbur as Resident Physician. This was a sanitarium offering cures for those suffering from alcoholism or tobacco or drug addiction. Probably was short-lived as newspaper advertising for the Inn only runs through August 1892 and it is not listed in the 1894 Directory.
In June 1898, Waterhouse sold the property to H.D. Kirkover with $7,000 of the mortgage still to be paid off. There is a picture of the "Kirkover Residence" in the 1902 Central Park pamphlet. There is also a post card ca. 1908 which shows the building with awnings on all the windows, published by the Weiler Publishing Company of Dunkirk, NY and was one of a series called “Pretty Homes in Fredonia, NY.” A copy of this card is to the right.
The Steams family lived there from 1916 until June 1945 when it was sold to the Fredonia Teachers College (the cost was assumed by the Alumni Association) to be used as student housing. The main building was called Alumni Hall. In May 1948 a prefabricated, one-story building was put up at the back called College Hall. The directories list the names of the house mothers of the two buildings through 1955 after which it reverted to private ownership. (Doug Shepherd, historian)
Many alumni who lived in the house as students have returned and re-visited the house during the Peterson’s ownership. The Sterns grandchildren, some still living in the south county, spent time with the Petersons, providing photos from their childhood there and stories of their memories of their grandparent’s house. The house is such a fixture in the Village that often the address number doesn’t mean as much as the description “large, orange brick house with tower and large front yard.” The house was one of the most popular on the Preservation Society House & Garden Tours of 2005 and 2007 as a “work in progress” with more than 1,100 people touring through.
This house is Queen Anne style and, in the United States, it has its own distinctive qualities. Round corner towers were quite common; inset panels (in brick walls or chimneys) of cast terracotta with rosette or floral patterns were favored and posts were elaborately turned. The Edwards Waterhouse structure shows many of the Queen Anne features very well: the tower with shingled top, the steep pediments with prominent modillions or dentils, small terracotta insets in the front porch, and window frames (like the side porch) fancifully classical. Originally the front arched entrance bay had a balustrade at the top.
The floor plan as remodeled was open and intricate. The entrance stair hall led directly to the living room (south side) through a wide doorway; from here one could enter the library behind it or, also through wide doors, the parlor on the north side. This room was one of the most spatially intricate, as old photograph (left) shows. The front portion had, of course, the corner bay jutting out (with a turned wood screen at the upper portion to make a semi distinction of space), providing a cozy viewing point. About midway in the rather long room (probably where an old partition had been) the chamber was divided by a section of wall that projected slightly, and had tall turned columns against the ends, again, suggesting a division in the space, but not really closing it off. This photo shows half of the formal front parlor – the other end has an Eastlake fireplace and two windows with “picture frame” moldings. This room runs nearly the entire length of the house and is part of the original house. Behind the parlor room (corresponding to the library on the south) was the dining room. Kitchen, pantries, etc. were at the rear of the house. By removing may of the sheetrock walls installed in the 1960s when the house was converted to apartments, the natural flow of the home can be restored.
The ample size of the windows should also be noted: on the south side sash windows 5x6 feet are found on each floor, as well as triple grouped windows which form a wall of glass 6 feet tall and 9 feet long.
The Waterhouse House shows many of the Queen Anne features very well: the tower with shingled top, the steep pediments with prominent modillions or dentils, small terracotta insets in the front porch, and window frames (like the side porch) fancifully classical. Originally the front arched entrance bay had a balustrade at the top. The steps and porch balusters are also altered.
The history of the house was compiled by Daniel Reiff, Ph.D., Emeritus SUNY Fredonia, and Doug Manley, Fredonia Historical Society. Additional inf ormation was obtained from descendants, such as the original portrait of Rose Waterhouse in the Receiving Room parlor, hanging in the same spot it was in 1895.

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 27998

Prev Next # 42 of 68

of the list
Victorians

Back to List

New Search

Like This Listing?

Agent Contact Information

Showing by appointment only.
Further photos on Edwards Waterhouse inn Facebook page and website www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com

Maggie Bryan-Peterson

Phone: 716 672-6751
Mobile: 716 485-3289

www.howardhanna.com/Property/Detail/69-71-Central-Avenue-Pomfret-NY-14063/RochesterNY/1044042

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]