OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 27758

Prev Next # 45 of 50

of the list
Advanced Search

Back to List

New Search

For Sale

$938,000

1852 Greek Revival

138 East Fulton Street
Canton, Mississippi

138 East Fulton Drive, Canton, Mississippi

The Priestley Home
The Priestley Home
Built in 1852 and extensively restored.
There are few homes in Mississippi with the grandeur and historical significance that The Priestley Home offers.
Scroll down for more information

The Priestley Home

The Foyer
The Foyer
A grand staircase is located at the entryway.
Front Parlour
Front Parlour
Bookcases line an entire wall in this room off the main foyer, currently serving as a music room.
Formal Living Room
Formal Living Room
Master Bath
Master Bath
Library
Library
The extensive library, located off the formal living room.
Balcony
Balcony
Second story balcony with a swing gives a birds eye view up and down the street.
Backyard
Backyard
Located on almost an acre, the back sun porch overlooks the pool.
Sun porch
Sun porch
The deep sun porch is large enough for an eating area and an area to read and relax.
Master Bedroom
Master Bedroom
Spacious upstairs master bedroom has a working fireplace
Formal Dining Room
Formal Dining Room
Sweeping Front Porch
Sweeping Front Porch
Kitchen
Kitchen

Features (cont.)

  • Pool - In Ground
  • Porch
  • Detached Workshop
  • 2nd Staircase
  • Built-in Bookcases
  • Built-in Cabinets
  • Ceiling Fans
  • Ceramic Tile
  • 8 Fireplaces: Gas logs
  • Grand staircase
  • High Ceilings
  • Metal Roof
  • Walk-In Closets
  • Shingle Roof: Metal
  • Central air
  • City sewer
  • Dishwasher
  • Refrigerator
  • Security System
  • Sprinkler System
  • Water Heater - Gas
  • Butler's Pantry
  • Pocket Doors
  • Servant's Staircase
  • Sleeping Porch
Bedrooms 4
Full Baths 4
Heated Sq. Ft. 5,200
Stories 2
Acres 1.0
MLS No. 308335

Features.

  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 1st Floor Laundry Room
  • Dining room
  • Foyer
  • Library
  • Living room
  • Music Room
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Fenced Yard
  • Fresh paint
  • Garden
  • Greenhouse

Like This Listing?

Agent Contact Information

Showings are by appointment only. We would love to tell you more about this fabulous home. Please contact me for more details.

Jane Lever, Keller Williams Real Estate

Phone: 601 613-1525

The Priestley Home Property Page

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Equal Housing Opportunity logo

The Priestley House in Canton Mississippi

Located a block south of the center of Canton, this revived beauty offers four stately bedrooms, four bathrooms, a formal dining room, music room, parlor, library, office, sleeping porch, pool, terrace and greenhouse, all in peak condition. Built by Dr. James Priestley in 1852, the original house consisted of the front porch, the grand staircase and four rooms. Various rooms and wings were added throughout the years, including an office, the current library and an examining room for Dr. Priestley (which is now the kitchen). Later additions completed in 1915 included bathrooms, incorporating the kitchen, which had been detached, and a dining room. The current owner has meticulously restored the home to its original splendor, both structurally and cosmetically, going as far as to seek out historically correct hardware and to retrieve the original dining room doors. New piers and a steel beam foundation have been added. Floors, walls and ceilings were replaced and windows were repaired and a long life metal roof was added. Today the home is a classical masterpiece. The grand staircase has been restored, the wide front porch gleams and the relaxing screened sunroom provides the perfect spot for year-round entertaining. The owner has brought back the richness of the home with numerous bookcases and ceilings accented with gilded wallpaper. Each bedroom is spacious and features a working fireplace and abundant closet space. Bathrooms feature clawfoot tubs, separate walk-in showers and varnished wainscot walls. The period kitchen offers today’s modern amenities, while keeping a nod to the fundamental style of the home. The landscaped grounds cover an acre and feature lush flowerbeds, regional perennials and mature hardwoods. An established herb garden is located off of the kitchen. A final extensive exterior facelift was completed recently with an extensive repainting, new shutters and replacement hardware. The home was honored in 2010 by the Mississippi Historic Trust for Outstanding Restoration. Extensive photographs and documentation of the restoration are available upon request.

Canton

Canton, a beautiful example of the quintessential small Southern town, has a distinctive Greek Revival courthouse as its center, surrounded by 19th Century commercial buildings on all 4 sides. Founded in 1836 as the county seat of Madison County, it remains so to this day; the courthouse occupies the highest point in the county. With the coming of the Illinois Central Railroad in 1852, and the great prosperity that followed, the town fathers built the beautiful antebellum homes that survive to this day. The Priestley House is one of those homes.

Architecturally, Canton is by far one of the most interesting and intact towns in central Mississippi. The shady residential streets, on the east side of town, are a veritable encyclopedia of 19th - 20th Century residential architecture; Victorian, Queen Anne, early 20th C Greek Revival, Edwardian and Craftsman styles are all well represented.

Unlike Jackson which was burnt during the Civil War, Canton survived intact, so the 19th Century feel survives to this day. Hollywood has taken advantage and used this in such films as A TIME TO KILL, OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU, and MY DOG SKIP. The courthouse alone is a major character in A TIME TO KILL.

Today, Canton is both the epitome of a gentler, slower pace of Southern life, and also home to some of Mississippi's biggest industries. Located a few miles from the town square is a large automotive plant, as well as several other manufacturers.

The History of The Priestley Home

The house was built by Canton’s first doctor, James Priestley in 1852. In that year the Illinois Central Railroad, connecting Chicago and New Orleans arrived in Canton, immediately making Canton the most important and prosperous city in Madison County, and to this day, the County seat.

The original house consisted of the front porch, the grand staircase, and four rooms, two up and two down, making the house one room deep.

Just prior to the civil war, Dr Priestley added the west wing, a one story addition with two rooms, his office, the current library and his examining room, which is now the kitchen. In 1895, two bedrooms were added on top of the west wing, as it now appears from the west side of the house.

The east wing was completed in 1915, the Center hall was extended from the original Center hall through to the back of the house, porches upstairs and down were enclosed, the original kitchen which had been in the back yard was now incorporated into the house proper and the empty space between the original dining room and the original kitchen was now enclosed with a bay window, creating the dining room as it exists today. Upstairs the area over the new dining room became a sleeping porch.

In 1915 the first bathrooms were installed, one up and one down.

After the Priestley family sold the house in 1996, the sleeping porch was converted into two additional bathrooms and closets. The final major addition to the House was the 40’ screened porch across the back of the house, overlooking the swimming pool. Of the original pre Civil war out buildings, only the carriage house exists today.

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 27758

Prev Next # 45 of 50

of the list
Advanced Search

Back to List

New Search

Like This Listing?

Agent Contact Information

Showings are by appointment only. We would love to tell you more about this fabulous home. Please contact me for more details.

Jane Lever, Keller Williams Real Estate

Phone: 601 613-1525

The Priestley Home Property Page

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Equal Housing Opportunity logo

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]