OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 27602

Prev Next # 29 of 72

of the list
With between 2 and 90 acres

Back to List

New Search

For Sale

$ 235,000

1857 Gothic Revival

490 East Salem Road
Holly Springs, Mississippi

Cedarhurst 1857, Historic Holly Springs, Mississippi

Lovely estate on 10 acres
Lovely estate on 10 acres
Stunning foyer with Venetian Rose Glass
Stunning foyer with Venetian Rose Glass
Bedrooms 5
Heated Sq. Ft. 5,000
Stories 2.5
Acres 10.0
Property Taxes
$ 4,500
MLS No. 315074

Features.

  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 1st Floor Bedroom
  • 1st Floor Laundry Room
  • Attic
  • Basement
  • Dining room
  • Entry Hall
  • Foyer
  • Galley Kitchen
  • Laundry Room
  • Living room
  • Music Room
  • Reader's Loft
  • Walk-Up Attic
  • Master bedroom downstairs
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Circular driveway
  • Guest House
  • Carpet
  • 8 Fireplaces
  • Grand staircase
  • High Ceilings
  • Original wood windows
  • City water supply
  • Dishwasher
  • Gas heating
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Water Heater - Gas
  • Carriage House
  • 12-foot Ceilings
  • Plaster Walls
  • Stained Glass Windows

Like This Listing?

Agent Contact Information

Stephanie Lawson

Phone: 662 895-4445
Mobile: 901 828-9566
Fax: 8885476475

www.rentdesoto.com

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Equal Housing Opportunity logo

More About This House

Cedarhurst, a French Gothic style antebellum home completed in 1857. Five bedrooms and three baths, eight fireplaces, 13 foot ceilings, 12
x 18 Front entrance hall, 10 x 20 back hall with staircase to the second floor. Still here is the original Venetian Rose glass that adorns the front center doors and
windows and cypress floors. The early home of Sherwood Bonner (Pen name of Mrs. Kate Bonner McDonnell), who was secretary to the poet Longfellow.
purchased by W A Belk around 1900.

The 10 acre lot also includes the original kitchen house now providing a two bedroom guesthouse. The front porch fretwork is cast iron
manufactured in Holly Springs by what was then known as the Jones – McElwain iron foundry converted to a munitions factory during the Civil War and blown
up before the Union troops moved South to Vicksburg. purchased by W A Belk around 1900. only these two families have lived in the home. After the Civil War
Federal General Ord lived in Cedarhurst a short time.

History

Cedarhurst was built in 1857 by Dr. Charles Bonner (1814-1878), a medical doctor born in Ireland who settled in Holly Springs in 1845. Dr. Bonner married into a wealthy family, and constructed this grand Gothic Revival home in 1857. During the Civil War, Bonner opened a hospital for the Confederate wounded near his home. After the end of the Civil War, the Bonner House was used as the headquarters of General Edward O. C. Ord, the Commander of the Fourth Military District, which included all of Mississippi, during the Federal post-war occupation of the South. During Reconstruction, a garrison of 200 Federal troops were stationed in Holly Springs near this house. Dr. Bonner lived in this house until 1878, when he tragically died, along with his son Sam, during the Yellow Fever Epidemic.

Dr. Bonner’s daughter was Katherine Sherwood Bonner (1849-1883), an author and early feminist figure. Sherwood Bonner grew up in this house, and in 1871 she married Edward McDowell and had one daughter, named Lillian. Bonner became unhappy in her marriage, and- in a rare move for the time- left her husband and daughter in 1873 and moved to Boston, Massachusetts. Soon Bonner came under the tutelage of famous writer Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, who encouraged Bonner to write several “Southern dialect” stories, including her only novel “Like Unto Like” (1878). In 1878, during the Yellow Fever Epidemic, Sherwood Bonner returned to Holly Springs, saving her daughter from the disease and nursing her father and brother before their death. Bonner survived the Yellow Fever, but was diagnosed with breast cancer and died in Holly Springs in 1883.

The Bonner House was inherited by Sherwood Bonner’s daughter, Lillian, and in 1901 the home was sold to William A. Belk (1860-1919), who renamed the house “Cedarhurst”. After William Belk’s death, his son Fred Belk Sr. (1898-1955) lived in the home with his wife Leta E. Belk. Their son, Fred Belk Jr. (1937-2012) became the third generation of Belks to reside in the house. Fred Belk Jr.’s widow Linda Belk continues to live in the house today. The Belk family has resided in Cedarhurst for 115 years, longer than any other current family in Holly Springs has lived in a single home (the Francisco family has owned McCarroll Place for longer, but they do not currently live in that house). As of 2018, the house is for sale, and the next owners will only be the third family to live in the house in 161 years.

Cedarhurst is a Gothic Revival two-story flanking-gable brick home, with three steeply-pitched gables with decorative boards, pendants and finials. There are Tudor windows with brick hood molds and a three-bay porch with Tudor-arch openings. The entire porch and balustrade is constructed out of cast iron made at the local Jones-McIIwain Foundry, and contains numerous ornate Gothic motifs.

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 27602

Prev Next # 29 of 72

of the list
With between 2 and 90 acres

Back to List

New Search

Like This Listing?

Agent Contact Information

Stephanie Lawson

Phone: 662 895-4445
Mobile: 901 828-9566
Fax: 8885476475

www.rentdesoto.com

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Equal Housing Opportunity logo

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]