OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 27196

More Archives

Nearest Listings

From The Archives

c. 1842 Farmhouse

Knoxville, Tennessee 37920

Live in a Mini Cades Cove

Main House
Main House
Original house was built in 1790s. The 2nd story was added in 1842. The back of the house with hall, kitchen, bath, laundry, and great room was added in 1982.
Front hallway - original part of house
Front hallway - original part of house
This amazing staircase is as sturdy as it was the day it was installed. Library is to the right and bedroom to the left.
Great Room
Great Room
The Great Room with cathedral ceiling houses a large fireplace that raises through the roof. The stones were retrieved from Davy Crockett's aunt's home in upper East Tennessee.
Dining and Kitchen area
Dining and Kitchen area
Kitchen and dining areas are off the Great Room.
Great Room
Great Room
Master Bedroom
Master Bedroom
A brick in the chimney of this bedroom has the date 1842 etched into it.
Chicken Coop and Cantilevered Barn
Chicken Coop and Cantilevered Barn
Original to property
33.6 rolling acres
33.6 rolling acres
Bedrooms 5
Full Baths 2
Heated Sq. Ft. 3,657
Stories 2.0
Acres 34


  • Has Rentable Unit(s)
  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 1st Floor Bedroom
  • 1st Floor Laundry Room
  • Dining room
  • Entry Hall
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Living room
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • 1 Car Garage
  • 2 Car Garage
  • Barn
  • Carport
  • Driveway - Paved
  • Fenced Yard
  • Gated Entry
  • Guest House
  • Patio
  • Pond
  • Pool - In Ground
  • Porch
  • Storage Building
  • Storm Windows
  • Workshop
  • Built-in Bookcases
  • Fireplaces
  • Grand staircase
  • High Ceilings
  • Original wood windows
  • Wood shingle Roof
  • Walk-In Closet(s)
  • Wood floors
  • Central air
  • Dishwasher
  • Disposal
  • Gas heating
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Septic Tank
  • Water Heater - Electric
  • Hand-hewn Beams
  • Plaster Walls
  • Ripple Glass

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.

More About This House


This property was originally owned by the Flennigan (or Flenniken) family dating back to 1790. The main house was originally a one-story log structure. The property was purchased by the Goddard family in 1840 who added a 2nd story over the original log structure and put wood siding over the original Poplar logs. There is a brick in the hearth in the front left bedroom that bears the year 1842. The property remained in the Goddard family until the Acuffs purchased the property in 1977.

Dr. William Acuff was a collector of East Tennessee memorabilia, including log structures. In 1982, the Acuffs added the back addition onto the 2-story structure. The addition consists of the great room, kitchen, hall and hall bath, loft, loft bath, and walk-in closet. They also added the side porches, pool, and patio. The large Poplar logs were reclaimed from various structures in East Tenn. and the heart-of-pine flooring was reclaimed from Cherokee Mills in Sevier County. There is a rifle hole in one of the logs. Benny Curl was the contractor. The fireplace in the great room is made of limestone stones that were reclaimed from Davy Crockett’s aunt’s 2-story farmhouse in Greene County, TN.

In the original part of the main house, there is hardwood over timber (possibly puncheon) floors under carpet in the front bedroom. The upstairs bedrooms in the original part of the house also have the original flooring under carpet. Most of the original glass remains in the windows which are covered with storm windows.

Other structures original to the property include the cantilevered barn, chicken coop, wash house, and the original well house (which is no longer used as the Acuffs had a new well dug and new well-house constructed).

Confederate soldiers hid out in the basement during the occupation of Knoxville. There is a wood-burning stove in the basement which will heat the entire house via a ventilation system, however, the home was updated with a Lennox Central HVAC system which has been regularly maintained by John Coleman Company and is owner’s primary heat (and air) source. The roof was replaced recently on ALL structures with 50-year shakes.

There is an alarm system tied into the smoke detectors on all floors which could be monitored by a service. There is a Sentricon contract with Terminix which has been continuous.

The walkway in front and the foundation of the home are built of hand-made brick. There are a total of 14 structures on the property, a gunite swimming pool, a stocked pond, a creek (Stock Creek), and a stream.

Archived in January, 2022

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 27196

More Archives

Nearest Listings

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top