From The Archives
c. 1890 Old Brick Chapel
Old Mowbray Chapel
|Heated Sq. Ft.
Like This Listing?
Sold, but see us for other historic Maryland properties!
Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!
Evolution of this fine old Chapel inthe County of Kent.,ON MARYLAND'S UPPER EASTERN SHORE.
This once Methodist Church was formerly located in what was known as the Walton Chapel ca. 1869, This original building was enlarged in 1882 and again in 1887. Unfortunately, this building burned in October, 1889.
Walton Chapel building was the successor to the old Kent Meeting House Society (1774) which had been located on a bluff near the town of Rock Hall in the County of Kent.
Reverend William R. Mowbray, pastor of Pomona was the pastor of Walton Chapel when it burned. Being a good mason by trade, he himself supervised and actually help build the church. The people honored him by naming this church Mowbray Chapel. The bricks were from the original building. The cost of the new structure was $2000 and was completed in 1890.
From The Garden of Methodism by E. C. Hallman
Archived in June, 2019
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.