OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 26036

Prev Next # 11 of 50

of the list
Advanced Search

Back to List

New Search

From The Archives

c. 1850 Colonial

Boydton, Virginia

Williams/Carter House, c. 1850

Street view
Street view
Original hand made brick walkway
Lovely, well-appointed home in historic lake-side town. Perfect single family home or Bed and Breakfast.
West side
West side
Living room/parlor
Living room/parlor
Dining
Dining
open through arches to living room
upstairs landing
upstairs landing
Eat-in kitchen
Eat-in kitchen
view from back porch
view from back porch
original log structure
well house
well house
Foyer
Foyer
an upstairs bedroom
an upstairs bedroom
Bedrooms 5
Full Baths 3
Heated Sq. Ft. 4,000
Unheated Sq. Ft. 1,000
Stories 2.0
Acres 5.0

Features.

  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 1st Floor Bedroom
  • 1st Floor Laundry Room
  • Attic
  • Basement
  • Dining room
  • Entry Hall
  • Foyer
  • Living room
  • Music Room
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Garden
  • Porch
  • Restored exterior
  • Storage Building
  • Storm Windows
  • Built-in Bookcases
  • Ceiling Fans
  • Gas Logs
  • High Ceilings
  • Original wood windows
  • Walk-In Closets
  • Wood floors
  • Tin Roof
  • Central air
  • City sewer
  • City water supply
  • Dishwasher
  • Disposal
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Water Heater - Electric
  • 10-foot Ceilings
  • Plaster Walls
  • Ripple Glass
  • Built-in china cabinets
  • English basement
  • horse run-in and fencing
  • original outbuildings

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.

History

Built c. 1850, the 2-over2 Federal-style house was part of the Mecklenburg County Female College, near the Randolph-Macon College Campus. In 1875, Mr. Carter Williams purchased the home from the school and added a wing to the west side, making it a 4-over-4 center-hall colonial. He lived there with his wife and 5 children until his death in 1912. At that time, one of his sons purchased his siblings' shares of the house and lived there with his wife until his death in the 1920's. The widow and her 2 daughters sold the house to the local town Doctor in 1938. Dr. Carter and his wife lived and worked out of the home for the next 30-40 years. People in the area still remember coming to the house to see Dr. Carter!

The home maintains historical integrity with many of the original features including floors, mantles, fireplaces (8 total, including every bedroom and one in basement), wainscoting, exterior shutters, hand-made brick walkway and well house. One of the windows has Mr. Williams' name etched into the glass. The home has it's original English basement which was used for servant's living space and contained the kitchen until Dr. Cater added a kitchen to the main floor in 1942.

Located in a charming town which is designated historic, it has the advantage of being in town but still being on a spacious number of acres. It is 3 miles from Lake Kerr.

Recent Improvements

All of the electrical, plumbing, central heat and air systems are modern, up-to-code additions. Storm windows provide year-round insulation without compromising the beautiful original 6 over 6 wavy-glass windows.

Archived in January, 2019

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 26036

Prev Next # 11 of 50

of the list
Advanced Search

Back to List

New Search

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]