From The Archives
Open To The Public
Cleveland, Ohio 44103
Dunham Tavern Museum
Scroll down for more information
Like This Listing?
Dunham Tavern Museum
6709 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44103
Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!
The TavernRufus and Jane Pratt Dunham came to the Western Reserve in 1819. The young couple from Massachusetts acquired 13.75 acres of land, which they began to farm. A log cabin served as their home until the north portion of the present structure was built in 1824. Later, the main block of the home was added in front of the original wing and, as late as 1832, the west wing was built.
Capitalizing on the home’s position along a well-traveled stagecoach route, Rufus Dunham soon became a tavernkeeper as well as farmer. The Dunham Tavern became a social and political center for parties, turkey shoots and meetings of the Whig party. The Dunham’s sold the Tavern in 1853, but it continued to serve as a tavern until 1857 when a banker bought it for his home.
Amazingly, this residence stood through Euclid Avenue’s rise and fall. Stagecoach stops to car dealerships, Millionaire’s Row to urban renewal . . . Dunham Tavern has remained.
In the 1930s the Tavern served as studio space for a group of WPA artists and printmakers. The Society of Collectors, organized in the early 1930s, became interested in the historic site and eventually took responsibility for the structure, opening it to the public in 1941. Dunham Tavern is now a nonprofit museum supported by donations, members, grants, and monies raised from tours and outreach events.
December 4 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Dunham Tavern Museum Barn Sale
December 5 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Holiday Open House
December 6 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
View All Events
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.