From The Archives
The Farnsworth/Decker Home
Scroll down for more information
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
c.1825 Farnsworth/Decker HomeDr. Samuel and Nancy Mussey Farnsworth moved into their stately home in North Bridgton in 1825. He was the founder of Bridgton Academy and the son of Bridgton's first doctor. Listed on the national Register of Historic Places as a distinguished example of Federal architecture, this house is a grand one. It was built by the same carpenters who had just finished erecting the original Bridgton Academy building nearby. The high quality of their work can be seen in the amazing woodwork throughout this home. The interior is particularly remarkable being equal to many Federal mansions along the Maine coast. It is a superb example of refined country Federal architecture.
"Whitefarm" is the name given to this place in the 1898 book Timothy's Quest by Kate Douglas Wiggins. The home and the grounds are described in the book and in 1910 the story was made into a silent movie which was filmed here.
"At this moment a large, comfortable house, that had heretofore been hidden by great trees, came into view. Timothy drew nearer to the spotless picket fence, and gazed upon the beauties of the side yard and the front garden - gazed and gazed, and fell desperately in love at first sight." Kate Douglass Wiggin, Timothy's Quest (1898)
The historic copper octagon garden house was the belfry from the 1833 Methodist church in York village.
The property includes the main house of 15 rooms and caretaker's apartment, attached barn, carriage house, hay or wood storage barn, small hermitage, and a 1915 garage. The formal perennial gardens were originally laid out in 1825, and there are 16.9 acres of fields, woods, fruit trees and stonewalls.
The front hall is highlighted by an elegant formal stairway with hand carved mahogany railing and urn finial paired newel posts. There are matchstick carved chair rails and hand grained mahogany doors on the first floor. Original blue marbleizing survived under the oriental design stair runner. Wallpaper is a delightful historic replication by katzenbach and Warren.
The 8 mantles in the home are all different and beautiful examples of the Federal style. Wide pine flooring is still in place.
The home remained in the same family until 1964 when the next owners began a massive restoration project reinstalling the 12/12 and 12/8 windows (which were still in the barn) back into the house, and upgrading the heat and electrical systems. Subsequent projects include adding the impressive side entry door and Palladian window salvaged from an early home in Effinham, NH, a "new" kitchen in the pantry with reproduction turn of the century cabinets and a soap stone sink. Also notable is the copper Octagon garden house complete with mahogany arrow weather vein.
Located just 2 miles from the quant village of Bridgton, Maine there is also a shared beach on Long Lake nearby and a ski mountain the other side of town. Presidential range mountain views can be seen from the second floor.
Archived in July, 2012
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.