From The Archives
c. 1755 Colonial
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||2,532|
|Unheated Sq. Ft.||0|
- Guest House
- Wood floors
Woodford, c. 1755 Colonial with Georgian Qualities on WaterfrontWoodford,circa 1755 embraces tranquility situated on a scenic and private 46 acre peninsula. The property has 1/2 mile frontage on Farnham Creek near the confluence of the Rappahannock River,and it was once part of an original land grant in 1650 to Colonel Moore Fauntleroy. The site is believed to be one of the oldest, if not the oldest, plantation sites on the Northern Neck of Virginia. Lush marshes, cultivated fields, and beautiful forests create a park like setting.
Woodford is an important example of Virginia's transitional vernacular architecture, combining features of the simple cottages of colonial times with more formal Georgian qualities. The one and one half story Colonial has walls laid in Flemish bond with glazed headers. The clipped gable roof on the original portion of the house is one of Woodford's exceptional features. In the 1930's the home was restored and a sympathetic addition was completed by Philip Stern, an architect associated with Colonial Williamsburg.
Amenities include a large screened porch with brick floor, guest house, smoke house, sheds, herb/flower garden, apple orchard, ancient trees, evergreens, magnolias, boxwoods, 1.4 mile walking/riding trail, and 130 foot pier with wide water views off the Rappahannock River. Zoned agricultural, ideal for hunting, fishing, boating. Horses permitted.
Archived in September, 2015
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.