Restored late Queen Anne
Built in 1910 by Southern Pacific boilermaker Joseph Sills in the Armory Park neighborhood. The house originally contained two bedrooms, a bath and a cellar. Subsequent additions have added bedrooms and baths in the screen porch area at the rear and a greenhouse.
1910 Victorian adapted for the desert. Although lacking characteristic wooden fretwork, the massed irregular structural elements, brick string courses, cut stone foundation, rubble-filled tymphana and traditional Palladian attic vents show its Queen Anne roots.
South facing windows are shaded with canvas awnings. The gardens were reestablished in 2014. To the left is S. thurberi, the organ pipe cactus, a native to the area.
Local lava rock was imbedded in wet plaster to restore the tymphanum surface. Acroterion at roofline was designed ffrom a historical photograph of the house.
Through dining room to parlor
Looking toward the front of the house through the dining room into the front parlor. Owners in the 1930's refurbished the entry into the dining room with a Mission-styled arch.
Another view of the front parlor and fireplace
Rebuilt Needle shower
The greenhouse added in 2014 complements the house using traditional designs and .materials
Mascot 'Zorgon', Gopherus agassizii
Western exposure shielded by plantings
Iron/canvas auto port on north side
|Heated Sq. Ft.
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.