1325 Washington Street
Charles Stillman House Museum
The house was built in 1850 by Henry Miller, occupied by the Charles Stillman family, and later by Thomas Carson, longtime Brownsville mayor and Judge of the Cameron County Commissioners Court. In 1858 Miller sold the house to Manuel Trevino de los Santos Coy, a prominent Brownsville and H. Matamoros merchant who lived here as Mexican Consul. In 1875 Trevino, Porfirio Diaz and others secretly plotted to overthrow of Mexican president Sebastian Lerdo de Tejada, whom Diaz succeeded in 1876. The house remained with the Trevino family until purchased in 1958 by Chauncey D. Stillman, great grandson on Charles, who restored the structure and donated it to the city as a museum.
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.