OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 6209

Prev Next # 18 of 50

of the list
Features: Plaster Walls

Back to List

New Search

From The Archives

c. 1870 Federal

911 Union St
Old Town Historic District
Brunswick, Georgia

Marshes of Glynn Home

The Marshes of Glynn House today
The Marshes of Glynn House today
Five apartments with 1 bedroom, LR, Kitchen & bath. Two apartments with 2 bedrooms, LR, Kitchen & bath. B&B potential
Juliette Gordon Low (center)
Juliette Gordon Low (center)
Founder of the Girl Scouts and frequent visiter in the home.
1920s Painting of The Marshes of Glynn House
1920s Painting of The Marshes of Glynn House
This 1920 painting of the Marshes of Glynn House belonged to Mrs. Stiles-Cate. Note that the side porches have been enclosed, and the back building is no longer present.
Sidney Lamier
Sidney Lamier
Georgia's poet, Sidney Lanier, first read his best-know poem, The Marshes of Glynn, in the parlor.
Aptartment 5
Aptartment 5
Foyer
Foyer
Hugh Kitchen Apt. 7
Hugh Kitchen Apt. 7
All kitchens include: range and refrigerator
Bedrooms 9
Full Baths 7
Heated Sq. Ft. 7,000
Unheated Sq. Ft. 0
Stories 2
Lot Size
90x180x45x180

Features.

  • Crawl Space
  • Entry Hall
  • Foyer
  • Automatic outside lights
  • Fenced Yard
  • Fresh paint
  • Restored exterior
  • Ceiling Fans
  • Fireplaces
  • Vinyl floors
  • Wood floors
  • City sewer
  • City water supply
  • Water Heater - Electric
  • Water Heater - Gas
  • Plaster Walls
  • Ripple Glass
  • 6 Individual meters and billing
  • Ample off street parking
  • B&B Potential
  • Four Pourches
  • National Register of Historic Districts

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.

This large 1870s Mansion is in the heart of the Historic District situated amidst noble old mansions, churches, and massive oak trees. This ideal location is only a few miles from Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, and Sea Island.

The Marshes of Glynn Home features great history and positive income. The large lot includes 90 feet of Union Street frontage, and ample parking with large yards facing Reynolds Street in the back.

Notes for Historians: The Marshes of Glynn Home was built about 1870 by the Couper family as their town home. They also had a plantation on St. Simons Island and a retreat southwest of Brunswick. In 1874 and 1875, deteriorating health brought Sidney Lanier to Brunswick to recuperate at his brother-in-law's home on Albany Street. While sitting under what's known today as "Lanier's Oak" he wrote his best-known poem, The Marshes of Glynn, and a few days later first read it to a literary club in this home, the Couper House. It was published with his other poems in 1878. Also of note, Union Street is named for the "union" of Scotland and Ireland, not the Civil War, and the street numbering system of Union Street changed about the turn of the century. The home stayed in the Couper-Styles family until 1935, after which it went through various owners. By 1957 the home had been divided into apartments. Renovation of the exterior of the home was completed in 2006. The two front apartments have had the ceilings raised to the original height and the hardwood floors restored.

Archived in March, 2013

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 6209

Prev Next # 18 of 50

of the list
Features: Plaster Walls

Back to List

New Search

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]