OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 4910

Prev Next # 3 of 50

of the list
Features: Pocket Doors

Back to List

More Featured Listings

New Search

From The Archives

1885 Victorian

Warren House

Amazing home in an estate setting. The DK Warren house was home to the founder of Warrenton. It has been lovingly restored to its former grandeur. Spacious rooms with some of the oldest fresco ceilings in Oregon. Many original touches. Set upon close to an acre of peaceful open space and beautiful landscaping.
Scroll down for more information
Park the boat out front
Park the boat out front
Pocket doors
Pocket doors

Features.

  • A Painted Lady
  • Waterfront
  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 1st Floor Laundry Room
  • Attic
  • Basement
  • Bonus Room
  • Breakfast Room
  • Den
  • Dining room
  • Dry Basement
  • Entry Hall
  • Foyer
  • Kitchen
  • Laundry Room
  • Living room
  • Unfinished Basement
  • Utility Room
  • Walk out Basement
  • Walk-Up Attic
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Dormers
  • Driveway - Dirt
  • Garden
  • Gated Entry
  • Porch
  • Restored exterior
  • Sprinkler System
  • Storage Building
  • Storm Windows
  • Workshop
  • 2nd Staircase
  • Carpet
  • Fireplaces
  • Grand staircase
  • High Ceilings
  • Natural gas fireplace
  • Original wood windows
  • Cedar Shake Roof
  • Wood floors
  • City sewer
  • City water supply
  • Dishwasher
  • Gas heating
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Water Heater - Gas
  • Claw-foot Tub(s)
  • Pocket Doors
  • Servant's Staircase
  • Wrap Around Porch

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.

DK Warren House Estate

THE HISTORIC VICTORIAN HOME OF DK WARREN
Located in Warrenton, Oregon, is on the
National Register of Historic Places

The Daniel Knight Warren House, a building of frame construction completed in 1885 at the cost of $8,000, is among the outstanding houses of the late Victorian period in Clatsop County, Oregon.



The house is located in Warrenton facing east on a low knoll overlooking the entrance to the Skipanon River. It also commands a view across Young's Bay toward Astoria, the Pacific gateway port at the mouth of the Columbia River. Because of its prominence, the house served as an unofficial beacon at night time. According to tradition, a lamp was kept burning in the front window so that the skippers of Warrenton boast heading across Young's Bay from Astoria would be guided to home port on the Skipanon.



The house site was perhaps the only area rising above flood tide on the 180-acre Warren estate in early days. Before building his large house, Warren hired 20 Chinese laborers to build the first dikes to hold back the tides.



Like its counterpart in Astoria, the High Victorian Eastlake house build for Captain George Flavel in 1884, the Warren House displays the taste of rich elaboration and eclecticism so characteristic of the period.



Queen Anne characteristics of the Warren House are the asymmetrical facade organization and plan, the variety of roof forms and surface textured, tall chimneys with corbelled, "flared" caps, and the wrap-around veranda.



Italianate influence is seen in the bracketed cornice and elongated, one-over-one, double-hung windows with segmental arch heads. The Stick Style is apparent n the horizontal and vertical ordering of exterior elevations through such elements as spandrel panels of vertical tongue and groove boards and saw-toothed edging contrasting with overall cladding, which is horizontal 1 x 6-inch shiplap siding. Numerous strip string courses and vertical bandings are employed also. The Queen Anne porch shows distinctly the influence of the Eastlake Style in the stylized pierced decoration of its frieze. The verge board decoration of the narrow front gable, consisting of a chamfered collar beam and diagonal braces, is supported by brackets and is a hallmark of the Stick/Eastlake tradition.



The 2 1/2-story house is a tall and somewhat narrow rectangular volume measuring 24 x 60 feet in plan. Its side elevations are distinguished by two-story polygonal bays. The foundation is brick with a stucco exterior in a block pattern.



Warren's descendants occupied the house until 1965, at which point the house entered long period of disuse and deterioration. The property was purchased in 1988 by Alice and Alan Meyers who rehabilitated the house, including its interior finishes.



The property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, Building #88001521.

Archived in February, 2013

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 4910

Prev Next # 3 of 50

of the list
Features: Pocket Doors

Back to List

More Featured Listings

New Search

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]