OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 4610

Prev Next # 45 of 50

of the list
Built between 1700 and 1750

Back to List

New Search

From The Archives

c. 1731 Colonial

"A Turning Point in the American Revolution"

Front View
Front View
“The Andrew Mershon House on the Old River Road” Circa 1731 is the original Bear’s Tavern used as a landmark during the turning point in the American Revolutionary War.
Scroll down for more information
Grand Tavern
Grand Tavern
1731 Grand Tavern Room with beamed ceilings and walk in fireplace.
Living Room
Living Room
1776 addition
Dining Room
Dining Room
Master Bedroom
Master Bedroom
Remodeled Kitchen
Remodeled Kitchen
Gardens
Gardens
Paddock in winter
Paddock in winter
Night
Night
Studio and Garage
Bedrooms 5
Full Baths 2
Half Baths 1
Heated Sq. Ft. 3,200
Stories 3
Acres 8.4
Lot Size 8.41 ac.

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.

The Andrew Mershon Tavern

“The Andrew Mershon House on the Old River Road” Circa 1731 is the original Bear’s Tavern used as a landmark during George Washington's famous crossing of the Delaware on December 25/26,1776. Enroute to the Battle of Trenton the entire Continental army passed by. It was the turning point in the American Revolutionary War.

Andrew Mershon was born @1706 at his father’s home just west of Princeton along the present Lawrenceville, or the Old Maiden Road near what is called Cox’s Corner. He was a PS in Washington’s Army, Overseer of the Roads in 1747 and Overseer of the Poor in 1757 in Hopewell. Mershon was the keeper of Tavern during the Revolution until his death in 1793. Ownership ranged from the earliest being Daniel Cox, Cornelius Anderson, to Andrew Mershon. The property was later owned by such names as William Burroughs, Jesse Atchley, John Hart and John Wargo.

Property Features:

A pristine gentlemen’s farm surrounded by 70 acres of preserved land, this outstanding, built in the English tradition, museum quality, restored colonial home retains much of its original charm and character. Interior features include: Formal living and dining rooms with grand fireplaces. Newly remodeled kitchen with exposed stone walls, center island and original cooking fireplace. Great tavern room with stone walls, beamed ceilings and walk-in fireplace. Private master bedroom wing with separate master bath. 4 additional enchanting bedrooms. Random pine flooring. 5 zoned heating. Clean partial basement with Laundry. Stunning stone english garden patio and gazebo complete with fish pond and waterfall. Handsome out building includes large expansive studio with modern utilities, office and 3 car garage. Cable and Internet ready. Equestrians will appreciate the large fenced-in pasture with run in shed. Majestic country views.

Location and Significance

Within 40 min. of Philadelphia, 1 hr to New York City and 3 hrs to Washington, D.C. Close to major highways I-95, Delaware River and adjacent to Historic Washington Crossing State Park. Eligibility for listing with The National Historic Registry, on two counts of being both of local and national significance is available. You are cordially invited to own a piece of American history that is a symbol of courage and endurance that resulted in the freedom we enjoy today.

Archived in January, 2013

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 4610

Prev Next # 45 of 50

of the list
Built between 1700 and 1750

Back to List

New Search

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]