From The Archives
1855 Greek Revival
White Horse Inn
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||4,500|
- 1st Floor Bath
- 1st Floor Laundry Room
- Dining room
- Living room
- Unfinished Basement
- Circular driveway
- Driveway - Paved
- Guest House
- 2nd Staircase
- Built-in Bookcases
- Grand staircase
- High Ceilings
- Wood floors
- Tin Roof
- Central air
- City sewer
- City water supply
- 10-foot Ceilings
- Large Foyer with spiral stair case, 6 fire places, Large eat-in kitchen, Formal Living, Dining and Family Family Room. Sun room with French Doors looking over the patio and flower gardens. New Geo Thermal Heat and blown in insulation.
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
According to a newspaper article written by the Rev. J.J. Dickey in 1931, he had interviewed Horace C Ashton on October 28, 1925 who had many recollections about Flemingsburg, its people, buildings and homes. In commenting about the cholera scourge of 1852-1853 Ashton remembered that Ben Wallace and his wife lived where Hord Armstrong now lives-although the house was not finished at that time-Thomas Wells finished it later.
From this it was discovered that by 1855 both Benjamin Wallace and his wife, Mary Ann Wallace had died leaving three infant childern. An action was brought in Fleming Circuit Court by their guardian, John Patton, to sell the 148 acre farm near Flemingsburg on the Maysville Road that was inherited by them. This description of the unfinished house found in the court papers (file #132284)
The deceased Benjamin Wallace before his death had commenced the erection of a large frame dwelling house upon this farm, and at his death the frame had been erected, weather boarded and shingled. It stands now in that condition about 52 feet front 25 feet deep with an Ell 20 by 30 feet all two stories high.
At a sale held by the Commissioner of the Court on November 7, 1855, W.B. Boyd, Commissioner sold the land on which the house was started by Ben Wallace to Thomas Wells (D.B.33, P. 358) Who according to Ashton completed the house.
Thomas Wells sold the house and land to H.B.& O.C. Franklin, his wife, on October 5, 1860. (D.B.34, P.467)
H.B. & O.C. Franklin sold the property for $20,000 to W.H. Hendrick and Fanny B. Hendrick, his wife in December 15, 1864 (D.B.36, p.315)
W.H. Hendrick and wife sold it for $27,400. to H.B Cushman on Novemder 5, 1887 (D.B.50, p. 424)
After 1892 their were only four other owners to this home.
Archived in December, 2012