OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 2814

Prev   # 26 of 26

of the list
Neoclassicals

Back to List

New Search

From The Archives

1901 Neoclassical

The Arpin Mansion

As you enter the colonnade, the modern era is left behind and you step back in time to an era of great wealth and privilege. Circa 1901, Daniel Arpin house features the neo-classical Corinthian column portico and carved balconies. This important Beaux-Arts estate bears five bedrooms, three full baths, three half baths, and six fireplaces with nearly 6,000 square feet of living space.
Circa 1901, the Daniel Arpin House features evocative and picturesque neoclassical architecture, a recreation of a distant, lost world, framed within the Romantic sensibility of its time period. Neoclassic estates were built during the American Renaissance (period ca 1876 - 1914).


Scroll down for more information
Rear View
Rear View
Re-created 'Carriage House'
Re-created 'Carriage House'
Kitchen
Kitchen
The owner c. 2008 completely restored the kitchen area. The 1890's sideboard at the far end of the second picture is an antique. Original quarter-sawn oak floors and ash wainscoting are in pristine condition. The cabinets are new but also of the highest quality quarter-sawn oak. Granite counter-tops, high-end stainless steel appliances and traditional chairs complete the look. A doorway conveniently leads to the mahogany cupboard pantry with matching granite counter-tops. A second door leads to the formal mahogany dining room for easy access when entertaining.
Front foyer and great hall
Front foyer and great hall
Each room reflects the builder's knowledge and skill in the finest wood. The Maple Room Parlor, the Birch Library, the Mahogany Dining Room and the African Teak Billiards Room. As seen in this picture, the grand hall embodies the Romantic sensibility of its time period: coffer ceilings, gleaming hardwood, and carved lintel stylized by Corinthian columns, all crafted throughout the home in quarter-sawn oak.
Formal Mahogany Dining Room
Formal Mahogany Dining Room
During the period of restoration the mahogany paneling had been stripped and re-stained to match the beamed ceiling. The paneling is decorated with egg and dart carvings and dentil. The sliding panel doors which face the dining rooms are also mahogany. The same doors are quarter-sawn Oak on the other side facing the hall. At the far end of the room there is a door which leads to a pantry with mahogany cupboards and granite counter-tops. A swinging door leads into the newly restored kitchen. The fine tapestry is original and depicts wooded pastoral scenes above the mahogany paneling. It was reportedly imported from Belgium. The dining room at one time also featured a buzzer in the floor used to ring the servants. This elegant room seats eight but could conveniently seat ten people.
Moroccan Teak Billiard Room
Moroccan Teak Billiard Room
The Billiard room leads to the center hall and library. The elaborately carved teak fireplace is possibly Moroccan inspired. It incorporates Romanesque, Persian, Byzantine and Far Eastern elements into mathematically precise geometric designs. Teak is native of Africa, and is well known as one the hardest woods in the world. Luxurious velvet fabric grace the teak walls framed by Marrakech Gothic detail. Restoration called for replacing original brown velvet walls with new ruby velvet and re-plastering the ceiling. Newer electrical outlets are built into the floor rather than ruin the teak baseboards. Decorative elements of the Moroccan style include hand carved leaves and ironwork interior of the fireplace. French doors lead to the back veranda facing the re-created carriage house, which serves as a four-car garage.
Birch Library/Living Room
Birch Library/Living Room
The Library/Living Room is crafted in gleaming Birch with crown moldings, window seats, recessed glassed library shelving, Corinthian columns, solid Oak-sawn floors and a spectacular birch fireplace. This comfortable and classy room is adjoined by the Teak Billiard Room and across from the light and airy Maple Parlor.
Master Bedroom Suite
Master Bedroom Suite
Originally designed as a nursery and adjoining bedroom in 1903 with turquoise colored tile fireplace, solid Oak-sawn floors and bright 'puddle' Maple woodwork as seen in the trim, windows and gorgeous fireplace. This room also has a walk-in closet and original gilded radiators which have been lovingly restored to working order. The central air is vented down to each room on the second floor by gold grates above the doors. The Master Bedroom is adjoined by the nursery and has 'puddle' Maple fireplace, solid Oak-sawn floors, and a Master Bath with recessed tiled shower, original tub and a double antique sink from a convent in Wisconsin.
Bedrooms 5
Full Baths 3
Half Baths 3
Heated Sq. Ft. 5,659
Stories 3

Features.

  • 1st Floor Bath
  • Attic
  • Basement
  • Bonus Room
  • Dining room
  • Dry Basement
  • Entry Hall
  • Foyer
  • Gourmet Kitchen
  • Laundry Room
  • Library
  • Living room
  • Unfinished Basement
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Dormers
  • Driveway - Paved
  • Fresh paint
  • Porch
  • Restored exterior
  • Storm Windows
  • Workshop
  • Built-in Bookcases
  • Built-in Cabinets
  • Carpet
  • Fireplaces
  • Grand staircase
  • High Ceilings
  • Natural gas fireplace
  • Original wood windows
  • Skylight
  • Walk-In Closets
  • Wood floors
  • Shingle Roof
  • Central air
  • City sewer
  • City water supply
  • Dishwasher
  • Disposal
  • Gas heating
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Water Heater - Gas
  • 12-foot Ceilings
  • Claw-foot Tub(s)
  • Pocket Doors
  • Stained Glass Windows
  • Steam Radiators
  • Widow's Walk
  • 1 Forced Air Furnace
  • 2 Hot Water Boilers
  • 3 Full Baths
  • 3 Half Baths
  • 5 Bedrooms
  • 6 Fireplaces
  • Balcony
  • Basement Floor Re-poured.
  • Central Air
  • Four Plus Car Garage Recreated from the Original 'Carriage House' with Garage Door Remote
  • Frieze, Dentils and Ornate Cornices
  • Master Suite w/Master Bath
  • Monumental Columns
  • Plumbed in Basement
  • Porte-cochere
  • Replaced Main Sewer Line
  • Round Headed Dormers
  • Three Porches

No Contact Information.

This listing is archived and is not for sale.

Contact information is not available for archived listings.

History

Lovingly christened "The White House" by family and friends, the home was built by DanielArpin as a wedding present for his wife Ella.

During the early 1900's there was a renewed national self-confidence and a feeling that the United States was the heir to Greek democracy, Roman law, and Renaissance humanism.
It found its cultural outlets in both Prairie Schoolhouses and in Beaux-Arts architecture which was called the "City Beautiful" movement.

The American preoccupation with nationalism in this period was expressed by modernism and technology as well as academic classicism. It expressed its self-confidence in new technologies, such as the wire cables of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York.

In keeping with modernism, Daniel Arpin had an intricate bell system installed in the floors to alert servants. This also was the first home in the Wisconsin Rapids area to have running water and electricity.

When "The White House" was built, the Arpin Family (Lumber barons and progenitors of the area's Paper Mills) had reached the pinnacle of their financial wealth as is evident by the design and detail of the property.

Physical Plant, c. 2008

HEATING SYSTEMS: There are two high efficiency natural gas hot water furnaces. One heats the home and the other was installed for backup. The 3rd floor has it’s own natural gas forced air high efficiency furnace.
Gilded radiators were sent away for inside cleaning, sand blasting and re-gilding. They are a work of art.

CENTRAL AIR: Air was added and implemented on the third floor with ceiling vents to the second floor above the doorways, thereby cooling the entire home.

ELECTRICAL: Most of the electrical has been updated or replaced. New reproduction light fixtures were installed where needed. Most outlets were recessed into the floors so as not to disturb the fine woodwork on the baseboards. The outlets on the 2nd floor were located above the baseboard.

BATHROOMS: No expense was spared to preserve the original look and feel of the home. Reproduction high tank toilets are installed in every bathroom. All of the marble sinks and claw foot bathtubs are original with the exception of the double porcelain sink in the master bedroom, which was an old Convent sink from the 1800's.

PLUMBING: The sewer drain was the original clay pipe, which was completely removed and replaced with modern PVC. While replacing the sewer drain the entire basement floor was removed and re-poured. Newer sewer drains were added to all the basement rooms. There is a plumbed basement bathroom, which could be finished if someone should so choose.
Much of the plumbing was re-worked or replaced in the home.

FOUNDATION: The exterior brick around the foundation as well as the sill stone were completely redone and the foundation was patched up to two feet below ground level from the outside. The interior of the basement was plastered, sealed and painted for a look and feel of a new basement.

INSULATION: Insulation was blown in on all exterior walls. Originally, a second plaster wall was built between each stud for insulation thereby creating two air barriers (just another original unique feature of the home). Both of these air barriers were filled with insulation.

PAINTED: After these pictures were taken the owner has given the exterior a fresh coat of white paint. The porch floors have also been painted.

Archived in April, 2008

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 2814

Prev   # 26 of 26

of the list
Neoclassicals

Back to List

New Search

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]