OldHouses.com logo

Listing No. 27588

Prev Next # 33 of 50

of the list
with at least 3000 square feet

Back to List

New Search

For Sale

$258,000

1856 Greek Revival

109 West Main St
Bishop Hill, Illinois

Bishop Hill Colony Administration Building/ Gallery Inn

109 West Main Front
109 West Main Front
2nd Floor Green Room
2nd Floor Green Room
Living Room 1st Floor
Living Room 1st Floor
2nd Floor Hallway to Balcony
2nd Floor Hallway to Balcony
Kitchen 1st Floor
Kitchen 1st Floor
Yellow Room 2nd Floor Bedroom
Yellow Room 2nd Floor Bedroom
Front Staircase
Front Staircase
Cantilever Balcony
Cantilever Balcony
2nd Floor Hallway to Front Door
2nd Floor Hallway to Front Door
1st Floor Entry Living Room View
1st Floor Entry Living Room View
Bedrooms 5
Full Baths 4
Heated Sq. Ft. 4,200
Stories 3
Acres 0.2
Lot Size 101' x 101'
Property Taxes
$1900.

Features.

  • Has Rentable Unit(s)
  • Commercial Property
  • 1st Floor Bath
  • 1st Floor Bedroom
  • Attic
  • Breakfast Room
  • Galley Kitchen
  • Living room
  • Walk-Up Attic
  • Master bedroom upstairs
  • Porch
  • Storage Building
  • 2nd Staircase
  • Built-in Bookcases
  • Ceiling Fans
  • 1 Fireplace
  • High Ceilings
  • Original wood windows
  • Skylight
  • Wood floors
  • Shingle Roof: Asphalt shingle
  • Central air
  • City water supply
  • Gas heating
  • Range
  • Refrigerator
  • Septic Tank
  • Water Heater - Electric
  • 9-foot Ceilings
  • Hand-hewn Beams
  • Plaster Walls
  • Ripple Glass
  • Cantilevered Balcony
  • Multi-Flo Septic System
  • Walnut Staircases
  • Zoned Commercial/Res.

Like This Listing?

Agent Contact Information

Jim Johnson

Phone: 309-927-3080
Mobile: 559-901-0837

Facebook Page

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Local and Regional Links.

www.bishophill.com

More About This House

Overlooking the State Park in the center of town, the stately Bishop Hill Colony Administration Building was built in 1856 to serve as offices and living quarters for the Colony Administrators. The original Colonists constructed this example of Greek Revival architecture with brick produced on site. The walls, five courses thick, were then covered with stucco. The building consists of three floors, each measuring 1400+ feet, a full walk up attic and two second floor balconies, one with a unique cantilevered design.
The property is zoned for both commercial and residential use. The first floor has been used primarily as retail space, and has recently been converted into a two bedroom living space with the addition of a kitchen and 3/4 bathroom with washer/dryer hookups. Since 2010, the second floor has been home to a small Inn with three guest rooms [each with full private bathroom] and a guest kitchen and parlor. The Gallery Inn webpage is bishophillgalleryinn.com. The walk up attic features a skylight with roof access and original 1856 plank flooring, milled on site in Bishop Hill. The original shutters for the building are located here as well.

Surrounding Area

With a population of 125 full time residents, Bishop Hill is a throwback to an earlier time and place; A safe, quiet village with a tree-filled park in the center of town. Located two hours west of Chicago in Henry County, Illinois, The Bishop Hill Colony was founded in 1846 by a group of Swedish immigrants seeking religious freedom in the United States. It was the first Swedish settlement in the Midwest and its history is an important part of Swedish heritage as well as the greater immigrant story of the United States.
Designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1984, The Bishop Hill Colony is also listed in The National Registry of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site in Illinois. A number of original colony buildings are still in use, with continuing restoration projects being undertaken by private owners and the Bishop Hill Heritage Association.
Today the village maintains its Swedish feel and roots as a combination of museums run by the State of Illinois and the Bishop Hill Heritage Association, quaint shops showcasing antiques, pottery and quilting, gift shops,the original Colony Store, restaurants and overnight accommodations. The village is host to a yearly calendar of seasonal festivities and holiday celebrations.

Recent Improvements

In the 1980's the first of two restoration projects took place. The front double staircase and the cantilevered balcony were rebuilt to match original construction with balcony support beams extending 14 feet into building. Work on the first floor included lowering the floor to allow for 9 foot ceiling height. A complete sub floor drainage system with sump pump, and walnut staircase were added on first floor, and electrical service was increased to 400 amps. The second major project began in 2008. All windows were repaired and re-glazed. On the second floor, all ceilings and walls were repaired and resurfaced, paint was scraped down to bare wood on all trim work and repainted. New pex plumbing was installed along with ceiling fans in each room and hallways. All bathrooms and complete electrical wiring were installed. Rear staircase and railing were completely rebuilt. The 3rd floor is mostly an untouched jewel, ready to finish to suit. Walls, woodwork, windows and floors have been repaired and or restored, electrical circuit box is installed and Pex plumbing has been run to this level.

Comments & Feedback

All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.

Listing No. 27588

Prev Next # 33 of 50

of the list
with at least 3000 square feet

Back to List

New Search

Like This Listing?

Agent Contact Information

Jim Johnson

Phone: 309-927-3080
Mobile: 559-901-0837

Facebook Page

Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!

Your Feedback

Help & Support.

Return to Top
Pinterest
[X]