For Sale at Auction
1897 Queen Anne
Scroll down for more information
More About This House
A rare opportunity to purchase a historical 1897 Bedford landmark home known as the C.S. Norton Mansion. The “Limestone Castle” was built by C.S. Norton, a pioneer of the Limestone Industry, for use as his personal residence. This three-story Queen Anne style features stone/limestone walls, dual front entrances, cylindrical tower with conical roof, elaborate portico shelters, & classic scrolling on the porch/columns. Interior features: 8000+ SF above ground (first floor-3600+ SF finished; second floor-2400+ SF finished; third floor-2250+ SF unfinished), partial 1450+ SF basement, 5BR/3.5BA, 11’ ceilings throughout, tile entryway, massive decorative staircase with turned balusters, leaded glass built-in cupboard, formal living room, amazing intricately carved limestone fireplace, unusual curved cast radiators for round tower rooms, & attention to detail throughout! Exterior features: period carriage porch, massive front porch, second floor balcony, fenced back yard, all sitting on a spacious 0.51 +/- acre lot. Red brick building details: originally built for the workers, two-story, 540 SF period wood stove, hardwood floors, upstairs living area, all in need of repair. Mechanicals: Electric heat pumps, gas furnace that heats a hot water radiator system, and central air.
GENERAL HISTORY: The Historical Bedford Landmark C.S. Norton Mansion. Known to many locals as the “Limestone Castle”, this Lawrence County home was built in 1897 by Mr. C.S. Norton with limestone from Blue Hole Quarry on Norton Lane. It is referred to as a “Royal Blue” a limestone dwelling; because of this light blue hue Mr. Norton enjoyed a large amount of success from his quarry. The home was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
NORTON FAMILY HISTORY: Fredrick and Clinton Norton were one of the early stone families of Bedford. The brothers came from Lockport, IL in 1878 and started working in stone quarries. They became recognized as authorities on stone land and were pioneers in the local stone industry. Many of the early stone companies were organized or supervised by Fredrick. Fredrick founded the Norton-Reed Quarry and mill and Clint worked for his brother. He was later identified with the Peerless Stone Co., and the Bedford-New York Stone Co. In 1927 he organized the Independent Stone Co. which operated a quarry on land in Monroe County. In the early years Clint had interests in the Bedford-New York Quarries Co as well as the Climax Stone Co and the Bedford Cut Stone Co. Clint purchased the Royal Blue Quarry at the southwest edge of Bedford from his brother Frederick. Clint operated that property independently for several years. That abandoned quarry is known locally today as “Stack Rock”. Clint built and lived in the large stone home on 15th Street with his wife and two children in the first part of the 1900s.
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.