c. 1853 Victorian
Jacob Haller House
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||3,042|
- 1st Floor Bath
- 1st Floor Bedroom
- 1st Floor Laundry Room
- Bonus Room
- Breakfast Room
- Dining room
- Entry Hall
- Gourmet Kitchen
- Laundry Room
- Living room
- Master bedroom downstairs
- 2 Car Garage
- Casement windows
- Driveway - Paved
- Fresh paint
- Guest House
- Sprinkler System
- Storage Building
- Storm Windows
- Garage Workshop
- Built-in Bookcases
- Ceiling Fans
- 1 Fireplaces
- Gas Logs
- High Ceilings
- Original wood windows
- Walk-In Closets
- Wood floors
- Shingle Roof: Asphalt shingle
- Central air
- City water supply
- Septic Tank
- Sprinkler System
- Water Heater - Electric
- 12-foot Ceilings
- Claw-foot Tub(s)
- Hand-hewn Beams
- Stained Glass Windows
- Chamfered bay
- Clapboard Siding
- Gingerbread Spandrel
- Paved Frontage -FM1155
Local and Regional Links.
More About This House
Victorian Features from original construction
• Hand-hewn cedar framing
• Clapboard siding
• Chamfered bay and fan brackets at corner and fish scale shingles in gable end
• Front Gallery supported by turned columns and scroll brackets
• Porch frieze contains row of square spindles
• Gabled roof
• Single front entry door with cut beveled glass panel surrounded by sidelights and transom. Double beveled glass back doors and single door from Kitchen/Breakfast Nook
• 12 foot ceilings
• Most Windows original, wood casings, approximately 8 ft high with bull’s-eye corner rosettes and reed moldings.
• Bull’s Eye and flower layered pattern wood crown moldings throughout original structure – den add-on was made to replicate style
• Central hall archway
• “Gingerbread” spandrel
• Cornice and chair rails
NRHP - Information
OWNERSHIP – JACOB HALLER HOUSE - W.R. CAMPBELL M.D. – POLK - MIDDLEBROOK (1991-2004) – SAMBERA (2004-2008) – BUSKE (2008- CURRENT)
N 30° 08.649 W 096° 15.439
14R E 764192 N 3337935
Quick Description: Constructed in 1853, the Jacob Haller House is one of very first houses built in the town of Chappell Hill, TX and one of the nine "Contributing" residential homes within its NRHP-designated Main Street Historic District.
Location: Texas, United States
Chappell Hill's NRHP Main Street Historic District is an area covering 36 buildings, most of them built between 1850 and 1915 and reflecting the many variations in architectural style within that period in history.
The founding of the town of Chappell Hill is contributed to Mary Hargrove Haller who purchased a 100-acre site in this part of Texas on February 2, 1847 and subsequently commissioned a survey and the plotting of town lots. Just three years later, Mary Haller and her husband Jacob began building a two-story frame house now known as the "Stagecoach Inn" at the northwest corner of the center of that new town. In 1851, that same "Inn" was subsequently acquired by Mary's mother, Mrs. Charlotte Hargrove who was married to W. D. Hargrove, Jacob Haller's business partner.
Closely associated with the Hallers and the Hargroves are two other houses to the north of that Inn: another house Haller built along with the Stagecoach Inn, and the Permelia Haynie House (built by John A. Haynie and Permelia Hargrove, with Permelia being Mary's sister).
Along with the Stagecoach Inn, Jacob Haller reportedly built another residence, the very first house in Chappell Hill using cut cedar logs. This house, constructed in 1853, later became the home of a local prominent doctor, W. R. Campbell. Per the official NRHP records:
"[The] original part of [this] structure [was] built in the 1850s with late Victorian detailing added ca. 1900. One-story residence constructed with hand-hewn cedar framing, clapboard siding. Chamfered bay with fan brackets at corner and fish scale shingles in gable end. Front gallery supported by turned columns with scroll brackets. Porch frieze contains row of slat-like bars. Gabled roof covered with wooden shingles. Single entry door with cut glass panel surrounded by sidelights and transom. Current owners made some changes to the house after they purchased it in 1967. The original chimney on the south side was removed and the interior restored in the 1940s. Standing seam metal roof garage added in 1970s. The interior features windows with Bull's-eye corner boards and a central hall archway with fanciful scroll designs. Original detached kitchen at northwest corner torn down in 1945. Large north wing added ca. 1975. Concrete patio added at rear, as well as bath."
The house also includes a Texas Historical marker, which reads:
"Victorian architecture, with fine wood details. Hand-hewn local cedar was used in framing. Clapboard siding is of cypress. Built 1853 by Chappell Hill's first Postmaster; later the home of "country doctor" W. R. Campbell."
Multi-Use of Property
Income Producing Possibilities
Event venue: Weddings, Receptions, Retirement, Birthday, Reunion, Corporate Retreat, Tea Room, Boutique, B&B, Small Café, airBNB, Photography Studio, Vacation Rental.
Property has been used as residential. It is located and designed to lend it to many income producing possibilities.
Frontage Road FM1155 – just off 290 West toward Austin, TX - 10 miles to Brenham, 60 miles to Houston.
Property lies in what is considered to be Downtown Chappell Hill. It is a small country historical town, with boutiques, revitalized business buildings. Many visitors come to festivals, and explore the historical sites in the area.
Private setting. Good visibility.
Beautiful Grounds and room for personal touches of new owner.
Main property attraction: State of Texas Official Historical Medallion is displayed on the front porch. Maintained in original style. Updated, in period style.
Close to nearby boutiques, restaurants, wineries, museum and historical sites.
Rolling hills make for fabulous views and road trips.
Plenty of open Space – large rooms for versatile use. Dining, Den, Parlor and Sunroom offers exceptional serving, meeting or common areas for guests.
Updated Residential Kitchen.
Private Full updated Baths in three bedrooms – two in main house and one in Guest House.
Parking – driveway and extended parking pad and street.
Utilities – Water - City Well and Private Well for Sprinkler, Private Septic Sewer, Electric, Phone, Internet, Butane
Country charm yet close to conveniences. The area around Chappell Hill is developing.
Several surrounding homes have been converted to commercial properties.
So many possibilities – bring your dreams and imagination.
Feel free to contact the Chamber to determine if this is a fit for your use.
It is believed the first major renovations came after the storm of 1900 when the original Farm House was converted to a Victorian Cottage and the dog run was covered by the roof. A part of the 1970’s reconstruction was the addition of a three side windows sunroom. Later a portion of the back porch was closed in to add a breakfast nook and laundry inside the house. Original beveled glass back door remains as exit from Breakfast Nook. Bathrooms updated tile, fixtures and Carrara marble countertops.
It is unknown what changes were made by all previous owners until the current owners purchased in 2008.
From 2009 to present the owners have: added -Two Car Detached Oversize Garage -Workshop area, Loft for storage, urinal and plumbing for sink, Coated floor, Garage door opener, insulated walls and drywall.
Guest House Added - Bedroom with ensuite clawfoot bathroom, room for small efficiency kitchen. Independent AC, Heat, water heater. Porcelain tile flooring, paneled white washed walls.
Gazebo – Wooden structure, Lights and Fan
Kitchen - reconfigured and updated, restored to the original 12 feet with beadboard, Pull down Attic Stairs, new Oak Wood Floor,Antique White Maple soft close 42” Cabinets, Maple countertops – Tin appearance Backsplash, Island – Maple Cabinet with Silestone Countertop, Updated Lighting and Fixtures, Stainless appliances and large country style Stainless sink. Storage Shed – added. Replaced AC/ Heat Pump 5 ton 18 seer and thermostat plus 3 Ton AC, Water Heater, Added Custom Shutters in Den, Black out shades in Master Bedroom, Custom Magnetic Storm Windows, Breakfast Nook Casement Window Added. Replaced Roof May 2017