c. 1840 Antebellum
|Heated Sq. Ft.||3,472|
Margaretta Hall is a stately Greek Revival Mansion built Circa 1840 by J.J. Skinner of Augusta Georgia. It is located near the Etowah River, Barnsley Gardens and Kingston Downs. J.J. Skinner received the property in the land grants issued after the Indian evacuation. The vast estate was composed of 2,800 acres. Prior to the House being built, there was a fort located on the property – Over 400 Indians were housed there before starting the Westward relocation called “The Trail of Tears.”
One night during the War between the States, Margaretta Skinner kept vigil on the widow’s walk a top their home waving a lantern throughout the night, warning their neighbors that Rome was burning, set afire by the invading Yankee forces led by Major General William Tecumseh Sherman.
A few days later, Union Soldiers arrived at the house. The General Sherman ordered the furnishings of the house to be burned and cut the Persian rugs into strips for horse blankets. The house was spared because Margaretta Skinner had nursed back to health a Union Soldier, a cousin of General Sherman, who wounded there dazed and wounded. The property is the grave site of Lindsey Skinner, son of Margaretta and J.J. Skinner, who died of injuries while serving in the War.
The Boxwood walk is a priceless treasure of this historic place. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Etowah Valley Historic District. The stately Greek revival home today, as in yesterday, exemplifies the architectural feats of our forebears.
Current owner has completed 18 month renovation.
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.