From The Archives
c. 1890 Victorian: Folk
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||3,000|
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
Situated on a tall hillside offering commanding views of the surrounding neighborhood; the original structure of this spacious Victorian dates from sometime between 1885 to 1895; it is believed the house was built around 1890. An extensive renovation is thought to have occurred in 1910 or 1911.
The house is of wood-frame construction, resting on a more than one-foot thick stone foundation walls. Encompassing the home is a front foyer dominated by a handcarved mahogany staircase. The foyer once featured a fireplace, however the fire place was removed and walled over in a 1980s renovation. The house includes a total of three fireplaces - all featuring ornate wood carved mantels [the original number of fireplaces is five, unfortunately two were walled over as a result of a 1980's renovation]. Further features offered are soaring ten foot tall ceilings, six and a half foot tall windows, four bedrooms, two full bathrooms including a first floor guest powder room, all on three stories at a total of 3,000 square feet.
At the time of the original circa 1890's construction, the house sat on a large tract land owned by local real estate developer, H.C. Clark.
Mr. Clark never occupied the house, the original occupants were the Sedden family, who possibly purchased the home from H.C. Clark after it was built. At the time of construction the house was located in a rural, country side area east of Pittsburgh city limits. The original size of the property was nearly an acre; in addition to the house a barn and stables were built on the property sometime between 1905 to 1915.
The Sedden family remained in residence at the house until sometime between 1915 and 1920, during that period the property was subdivided into smaller lots, and the main house was sold to the William Edmund Moore family. During this period (1910’s – 1920’s) the surrounding area developed from a rural countryside setting into a fashionable, affluent Pittsburgh suburb known then as Edgewood Park. The growing new neighborhood was home to Westinghouse executives, bank presidents, doctors and other local business and society elites. Today the neighborhood has retained most of the grandeur of the past, with well-preserved Victorians, American-Foursquares mixed with small mansions situated in park-like settings along tree-lined streets.
William Edmund Moore, who was the head financial officer for People’s Natural Gas Company, did not get to enjoy the house for very long, as he died in May 1920. The house remained with the Moore family ownership until 1983, at which time the Moore descendents sold the house to the Zacks family. In 1984 the Zacks conducted an extensive renovation, that would have modernized the house to the standards of that time.
The house experienced a succession of owners throughout the 1990's into the 2000's, and recently saw a period of dormancy. The current owners, the Finch-Hawse family, are working to restore the house to its original grandeur.
Archived in July, 2016
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.