From The Archives
1888 Victorian: Queen Anne
Jekyll Island Club Hotel
Scroll down for more information
Jekyll Island Club History
At the turn of the century, tycoons, politicians, and socialites flocked to Jekyll Island to revel in their own luxury and America’s burgeoning wealth. Our historic Georgia Club was described in the February 1904 issue of Munsey’s Magazine as “the richest, the most exclusive, the most inaccessible club in the world.” Its impressive members included such luminaries as J.P. Morgan, William Rockefeller, Vincent Astor, Joseph Pulitzer, William K. Vanderbilt, and other recognizable names on the roster were Macy, Goodyear, and Gould.
Ground was broken for the Clubhouse in mid-August 1886, and the club officially opened its doors in January 1888. Designed by Charles Alexander of Chicago, the original clubhouse reflects the Queen Anne style, incorporating into its plan the turret which dominates the roof line, extensive verandas, bay windows, extended chimneys and, overall, an asymmetrical design. Handsome interior details include Ionic columns in the dining room, twelve- and fifteen-foot ceilings, oak wainscoting and other intricately detailed woodwork, as well as leaded art glass and ninety-three distinctively detailed fireplaces.
Archived in June, 2016
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.