The Morris-Jumel Mansion was built in 1765 as a summer villa, by Colonel Roger Morris and his wife, Mary Philipse. Roger was born in England and Mary was born and raised in the colony of New York. Their country estate was named “Mount Morris” and stretched over 130 acres from the Harlem to the Hudson Rivers. Mount Morris was one of the highest points in Manhattan and offered clear views of New Jersey, Connecticut, and all of New York harbor. With the help of their workers, the Morris family grew fruit trees and raised cows and sheep. At that time the island of Manhattan was mostly woods and farms. The roads were built on old trails made by the Native Americans.
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.