From The Archives
1885 Tudor Revival
Scroll down for more information
Like This Listing?
321 Main Street
PO Box 1325
Frisco, CO, 80443
Phone: 970-668-0195 Toll Free 1-800-279-6000
Toll Free 1-800-279-6000
Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!
“Originally a stagecoach stop in the 1800?s, The Frisco Lodge continues to occupy the same building. Today, this lovely Tyrolean style bed and breakfast, decorated in burgundy and antique white trim, offers warm and friendly comfort that brings guests back again and again. The Frisco Lodge offers excellent accommodations at very reasonable prices, anyone that has been in business since 1885 must be doing something right! ” Best Choices in Colorado
Frisco Lodge was originally built in 1885 as a stagecoach stop and soon became a way station for passengers and crew traveling on the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad – who’s tracks ran on the easement which is now the alley directly behind our North Lodge. The basic structure of our Lodge remains much the same now as it was then. The current innkeepers take pride in maintaining this heritage. Our rooms are decorated to retain the flavor of this past era, and the Lodge still retains the ambiance of this period.
The first recordable inhabitants of the Frisco area were the Ute Indians who traveled this area extensively and who’s trails are still evident on the tundra above timberline. The first modern settlers were the “mountain men” who trapped furs in the Summit County area from about 1810 through the 1850?s. The area’s vast wilderness yielded thousands of pelts. With the dawning of the 1870?s, silver was discovered in the adjacent mountains and the miners arrived to seek their riches. The town of Frisco was founded in 1873 by Henry Recen, and by 1882 it had grown to 250 permanent residents.
In 1885, the Frisco Lodge was built and it served Frisco and the surrounding area’s two railroads, many businesses and taverns and vast numbers of mines and miners. The mining glory days lasted until 1918.
In the 1930?s with the coming of the Great Depression, Frisco’s permanent population decreased to just 18. Frisco was one of only a handful of mining towns to survive this period. The area gradually developed as a crossroads as highways were pushed across the Rocky Mountains.
The first development in our modern era was the opening of Arapahoe Basin in 1946. Then when construction of the great dam to give birth to Lake Dillon was begun in 1961, hundreds of workers moved into the area. This gave Summit County the renewed energy that it needed. The Breckenridge ski area opened in 1961 and Vail opened to the public in 1962. The modern period of skiing had begun. When the Eisenhower tunnel opened in 1973, and Copper Mountain and Keystone opened in the same year, our current recreational based wonderland was born. Today Frisco is permanent home to approximately 3,500 residents and there is every imaginable recreational opportunity available. Our area now hosts visitors from all corners of the world in summer, winter, and throughout the seasons.
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.