From The Archives
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
Village Zoned property at quaint Bristersburg in southern Fauquier County. This eight room Victorian house with its gingerbread gables situated on 4+/- acres was built in 1911. It is fronted by an ivy covered stone retaining wall along the road and extending up the driveway. (One stone is dated 1829) A seven foot wide “T” shaped formal hall with a graceful staircase divides the downstairs into four large rooms with 9 1/2 foot ceilings, a full bath and a laundry room. There is a second, smaller staircase leading from the large eat-in kitchen to a room with a fireplace above. Upstairs duplicates the floor plan with four large rooms and a full bath. There are two working, wood burning fireplaces in the house along with a charcoal grill in the kitchen. There is a cellar under part of the house that contains the air exchange for the heating/cooling system, hot water tank, water tank, storage, etc. There are six additional buildings and dependencies included on this property:
• A country store fits against the highway with its decorative metal ceilings and heart pine floors and a large warehouse attached that makes it contain over 5000 sq.ft. The store once included a post office and served as a bus stop as well as offering a full line of hardware and of feeds and seeds in addition to offering every household need at the time. See attached letter from Fauquier County regarding use of this building.
• Just behind the main house there is a small building that once contained the wet cell batteries for the Delco system that furnished its own electricity for this property. A power line didn’t come to this part of the country until at least thirty years later. This structure now serves as a potting shed that separates the brick patio outside the kitchen door from the rose garden with its brick paths. The large yard is scattered with many boxwood.
• There is a garage beside the driveway along the very edge of the property affording some privacy.
• In the back yard beyond the rose garden there is a fully restored log cabin that was once a plantation kitchen having been built originally in 1780 with its large stone fireplace and warming oven. A porch flanked by old fashioned flowers and herbs leads into the cabin with its sleeping quarters for the cook upstairs. This building is from northern Fauquier County and was placed on the property in 1979.
• The 24’x40’ 4 stall barn is shaded by massive oak trees and is situated near the driveway.
• Drive through grainary
Archived in May, 2007