From The Archives
c. 1833 Greek Revival
Historic Farm with Vineyard and Pasture
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||2,911|
No Contact Information.
This listing is archived and is not for sale.
Contact information is not available for archived listings.
History and Features
Award-winning circa 1833 T-style Greek Revival farmhouse on 22.9 acres located in NW Ohio near the county seat and campus town (Heidelberg University, Tiffin University) of Tiffin and within commuting range of Columbus and Toledo. Five/six-bedroom, 2½-bath, carefully restored 2911 square-foot frame home with 1½-story carriage house, large pergola, English garden, and solid 150-year-old English threshing horse barn. House and grounds are perfectly suited, and have often been used, for entertaining a few or a hundred guests and visitors at a time. Includes pasture and a 1200-vine vineyard with established sales history to area wineries. Vineyard equipment and supplies are available, in whole or in part, for separate purchase.
Present owners, who retired after service in Congress and in the White House to this “Golden Pond,” are now forced by medical reasons to relocate.
History: The house and farm date back to the influx of settlers from the East into the Northwest Territory following the defeat of Tecumseh in 1813 and the signing of the Treaty of Maumee in 1817. Patent on this farmland was granted in 1826, and at some point thereafter – tax records seem to indicate 1833 but it may have been as late as the 1840s – the home was built and occupied by the first settler in the township area. The home is prototypical of the T- and L-shaped Greek Revival country homes developed in Ohio and Michigan in the 1840s as described in Talbot Hamlin, Greek Revival Architecture in America (Dover 1944).
• Full-house LP heating and cooling with wired-in, auto-start 11K generator and comprehensive security system.
• Completely redone kitchen, with solid maple inset cupboards, and bathrooms.
• Original plaster; original poplar flooring; original poplar woodwork; and original doors and rimlock hardware predominate.
• Circa 1865 English threshing barn, 34’x76’ with five stalls, grainery, lofts, and attached 16’x34’ equipment shed.
• Fenced, tiled 1200-vine vineyard (Vidal, Marquette, and Traminette) with established winery sales.
• A 2½-bay, 1½-story carriage house/garage finished and insulated for additional use for outdoor social events and for de-stemming and storing grapes.
• Large stone-based pergola and formal English garden with ample seating capacity for small and large events overlooking the vineyard – perfect for dining and entertaining as the sun sets over the vineyard and pasture.
Archived in May, 2015
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.