Fairfield - Major Price Reduction
35 Acres w/ 2 cottages & other period dependencies.
"One of the most impressive of the interesting group of stone colonial mansions in Northern Virginia. Its historic significance is greatly enhanced by its associations with the first President and his family." - National Register of Historic Places
Scroll down for more information
|Heated Sq. Ft.||7,500|
|Assessed Tax Value|
- Has Rentable Unit(s)
- 8 Fireplaces: Wood
- High Ceilings
- Wood floors
- Security System
- Plaster Walls
Like This Listing?
Agent Contact Information
Greenhalgh Real Estate
P. O. Box 602
Berryville, Virginia 22611
Licensed in Virginia
Tell 'em you saw it on OldHouses.com!
F A I R F I E L D - 1 hour w of Washington Beltway
Located one hour west of the Washington Beltway, Fairfield comprises 35 acres in a beautiful setting famous for its history, estates and horse sport. In addition to the impressive stone manor and terraced lawn, there are two cottages, a smokehouse and summer cabin, a greenhouse and garage/shop. A year-round stream and spring offer an abundant source of water for small-scale farming opportunities.
Within a short drive of the estate, there is a modern and comprehensive medical center, a regional airport, acclaimed restaurants and Inns, the State Arboretum, quality public and private education, as well as Shenandoah University and Conservatory.
Fairfield, which has been owned by only three families and under the ownership of the current family since 1830, represents the rare opportunity to acquire a lovely estate rooted in the early history of our country, where the suburbs do not encroach and yet remains convenient to the Washington metropolitan area.
The manor is in need of some moderization and repairs - but not a complete redo. The kitchen and master bath have been dismantled. The roof was replaced in 2006; the heating system was replaced in 2004.
Owner is a licensed real estate broker in Virginia.
Fairfield was built in 1768 by Warner Washington (1722-1791), first cousin and close friend of George Washington, with his second wife Hannah Fairfax of Belvoir. Visits to Fairfield by The George Washington Family are documented in George Washington’s Diaries.
Seven children were born to Warner and Hannah at Fairfield. Upon the death of Warner in 1791, a son, Fairfax Washington inherited the estate. The signature of his wife, Sally Armistead is inscribed in the mortar on an eastern façade.
In 1809, five years after the death of Hannah Washington, Fairfield was sold by The Washington Family to William Byrd Page and his wife, Anne Lee, sister of Light Horse Harry Lee and aunt of Robert E. Lee. Nine children were born to the Pages at Fairfield.
In 1830, The Page Family sold Fairfield to John D. Richardson, great, great, great-grandfather of the current owner.
Fairfield was listed in 1969 on the Virginia Historic Landmarks Register and in 1970 on the National Register of Historic Places. Both listings are honorific only and impose no restrictions.
The 35 acre property is comprised of the following improvements:
MANOR Circa 1768 - Fairfield is a two and a half-story Georgian manor of native limestone with single-story wings and transverse end wings. The five-bay central block has a hipped roof with ten, barrel-vaulted dormers which were added in 1919 along with the transverse end wings. A Greek Revival porch stands on the west entrance with a three-bay porch on the eastern garden elevation. There is an extensive basement and an attic is located above the central block.
Fairfield has seven bedrooms with four and a half baths in approximately 7500+ square feet of living space. There are eight fireplaces. A screen porch overlooks the eastern terraces.
Notable features include: a doorway framed by fluted Doric pilasters below a half-round transom; raised-panel wainscot; four-panel overmantel; deep, paneled window reveals; u-shaped staircase with carved brackets of a scroll and floral motif; and substantial box cornice. A well-preserved vaulted wood ceiling is found above the drop ceiling in the Grand Library. Colorful half-round transoms adorn the east and west doorways. Various sets of initials, some presumed to be Washington Family members, are carved in the stone and mortar of the residence.
Mechanical – The residence is served by a drilled well. Heat is provided by a 3-zone, oil-fired furnace (2004). A septic & drainfield system serve the residence. The metal roof was installed in 2006+/-.
It is thought that Warner Washington commissioned John Ariss as Fairfield’s builder. Ariss, a Washington family friend, is also linked to Kenmore, originally home to George Washington’s sister, Elizabeth (Betty) and husband, Fielding Lewis, close friends of The Warner Washingtons. Fairfield shares a strikingly similar floor plan with this Fredericksburg, Virginia plantation home belonging to The George Washington Foundation. Lending further implication to Ariss in the construction of Fairfield is his request by way of his last will and testament to be buried at Fairfield with permission of Mrs. Washington.
Please contact Greenhalgh Real Estate for a copy of the brochure (available in hard copy or digitally) and links to additional photographs online.
Comments & Feedback
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. OldHouses.com is not responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless.